Kowa Super 66 or Hassy 500CM kits, which would you get?

rich815

I have a chance at getting one of these two kits:

1. Kowa Super 66 with 85mm and 150mm lenses, two backs and hoods for about

$1100. All from a Kowa-specialized repair person, fully CLA'd and a 6-month

warranty. This price might seem a tad high vs. what I could nail a similar

kit for on eBay but even when a Super 66 shows up somewhere it always seems to

have been from someone's closet, has not been used for years ("...but all

worked fine as far as I know last time I used it....") and the body and lenses

would likely need about $300-400 in CLA work anyway.

OR

2. Hassleblad 500CM with a late 80mm Planar and 150mm lenses, two backs, a

couple ext tubes, and hoods with a hard aluminum case. In true MINT-

condition and based on the seller, my knowledge of him and how he's used them

and cared for them they will likely not need a CLA. This is part of a

slightly larger purchase of an entire kit most of which I will not need or

want so I will sell most off and keep the above. The net price in the end I

estimate at about $1900-2000.

From what I read here and elsewhere the Kowa's are the "poor man's"

Hasselblad. I imagine overall the Hassy's are better built. I do read that

the Kowa lenses are no slouch by any means and can really hold their own.

Kowa's can have issues if treated too roughly but these being offered are

fully CLA'd (as mentioned) and warranted.

Of course, I'd rather have the Hassy kit but that's quite a difference in

price. Thoughts anyone? Should I save the money as in the end I'll see

little difference in my photos, or bite the bullet and get the "better" kit

because Hassys are so much better built that I'll regret getting the cheaper

Kowa one day?

Go with the Hassy. The Kowa lenses are older generation, not multicoated, which provides noticeably better color saturation if you are into color. There is so much Hasselblad stuff on the market that I think in the long run you will be better served staying away from the Kowa....unless you can get it for a reasonable $400-500.

Build quality notwithstanding, there is a lot more Hasselblad equipment available, both quantity and variety, with pricing at all levels, so you have room to grow. Repair service and parts are readily available. Kowa is more on the "collectable" side, with meager choices in either regard. When you buy any camera for shooting, you buy into a system, and that is a defining issue for Hasselblad.

If you make 4x6, 8x10 or even 11x14 inch prints, you probably wouldn't see much difference on a onesey-twosey basis. On that basis, you could say the same about an Hasselblad vs. a 6MP DSLR. In aggregate, you will like the quality. handling and versatility of the Hasselblad.

$1100 is A LOT for that Kowa system, CLA'd or not.

Go with the Hasselblad and be done with it. Better system, better service, better all around. As soon as you buy the Kowa you will wish you had bought the Hassy. It's also getting harder and harder to find Kowa stuff, especially parts.

I actually used my Kowa system for several years and it's an excellent system with 1st rate optics but it's not a Hassy. '

Get the Hasselblad and have no regrets.................until you decide to go digital. :>)

Perhaps a decade ago, I had a Kowa with the 55 and 150 in addtion to the 85. Never used a Hasseblad, but I replaced the Kowa with a Bronica SQ-A and the 55 and 150. Optically, I can't tell the difference between Kowa and Bronica. But the Kowa was getting old: I had the 150 serviced - but it wouldn't stay fixed! Every time it came back, it would work fine - for a while. After the 3rd round trip - fortunately at no additional charge - I sold it all. (With a complete explanation of the trouble I was having.) From what I'd seen of the prices of used Bronica SQ equipment lately, I'd say forget the Kowa.

The Hasselblad would be the better buy but the price you've suggested seems a little high these days. Still, if it's mint, as you say, and you know the seller then it may well be worth your while paying the premium. A 'Blad is much more compact than any of the 6x7 SLRs and weighs considerably less.

I agree $1100 is too much. Should be more like $500. I used to own a kowa super 66, and others and its a good camera. Lenses can be hard to find. I sold mine to buy an RZ a long time ago, but I still would like to have another one for some reason. I guess that says something.

The lenses are nice, but probably are not at the same level as the latest Zeiss coated lenses but then again they dont cost an arm and a leg either.

Here are a few Kowa shots crops

This one and the next 7

http://www.pbase.com/tammons/image/37003452

Many people love the old camera's. They love shooting them and fixing them or having them fixed, hunting for a good lens and finding one finally etc. But unless you are like that I would go with the newer Hasselblad. In the end, reliability and performance translates into your best photography....Nolan

I've had both the 66 system, including 40mm, and Hasselblad 500cm, without a 40mm ;(.

I to can mot tell any difference in optics.

The Kowa though did "seem" more fragile than the Hassy. Would I sell the Kowa and buy a Hassy again, yes. But not becuase of optics.

But I do miss the Kowa 40mm, and I sure would have liked to have had the 19mm for that system.

Mike