romainsaccoccio

Hello everyone,

I'm a Kowa Six user, had to send it to repair service a long time ago, I did not use the camera for a while and now it's stucked again...

>>> I removed the lens and can't remount it on the body because the red pins (on the lens) won't go all the way to the red dots to click. They won't go further the halfway.

The camera is in the right position to mount the lens : camera cocked and mirror is down

I read all the Kowa Six threads around here but can't find the solution and I'd like to avoid another 100$ or more to send to repair service.

Could someone help me ? Thanks in advance

Romain

2077015977_2019-10-0710_01_11.thumb.jpg.071397298dfb445d9794d0cbc0af9c4a.jpg 1756252674_2019-10-0710_01_05.thumb.jpg.da9226b3edbd0ed35be4753b5ece9468.jpg

I don't own a kowa but I've been reading about them. Here's something of interest ....

FAQ - KOWA Six, 6MM, Super 66: medium format SLR camera, user manual, data sheet, faq, prices

Why won't this Kowa lens go back on the camera?

The camera may have been triggered with the lens off the camera, so the mirror is out of position, or the lens shutter may have been triggered off the camera. They need to match states to line up and remount the lens. See Kowa 6 or your manual for more information.

I don't own a kowa but I've been reading about them. Here's something of interest ....

FAQ - KOWA Six, 6MM, Super 66: medium format SLR camera, user manual, data sheet, faq, prices

Why won't this Kowa lens go back on the camera?

The camera may have been triggered with the lens off the camera, so the mirror is out of position, or the lens shutter may have been triggered off the camera. They need to match states to line up and remount the lens. See Kowa 6 or your manual for more information.

Thanks for your response kmac

Indeed, camera and lens have to match states to line up but the problem is I can't set the lens on the right position as the manual requires (red pins won't go under the red dots)

There's a tiny pin on the lens that needs to be depressed before you can re-cock the lens. Once you press the pin in, the red lugs can be twisted into the right position.

The small pin on the lens mount is automatically pushed in once the lens is mounted.

The lesson here is not to trigger the lens when it's removed from the camera.

P.S. I would have posted a picture of the small pin, but my Kowa 6/66 lenses aren't with me at the moment. I think the pin in question is at about 11 O'clock on your second picture.

There's a tiny pin on the lens that needs to be depressed before you can re-cock the lens. Once you press the pin in, the red lugs can be twisted into the right position.

The small pin on the lens mount is automatically pushed in once the lens is mounted.

The lesson here is not to trigger the lens when it's removed from the camera.

P.S. I would have posted a picture of the small pin, but my Kowa 6/66 lenses aren't with me at the moment. I think the pin in question is at about 11 O'clock on your second picture.

I tried pushing the tiny pin but the pins won't move past the position on photo n°2.

When I push the tiny pin, the pins go back to their initial position on the bottom of the arrow.

These red pins can only go from the bottom of the arrow to the halfway (photo n°2) and nothing seem to unblock that...

Thanks for your help anyway rodeo_joe|1

I tried pushing the tiny pin but the pins won't move past the position on photo n°2.

When I push the tiny pin, the pins go back to their initial position on the bottom of the arrow.

These red pins can only go from the bottom of the arrow to the halfway (photo n°2) and nothing seem to unblock that...

Thanks for your help anyway rodeo_joe|1

OK, then maybe the camera needs to be in the fired position, and the lens re-fitted.

It's been a long time since I used the Kowa, because of its reliability issues. Anyhow, I'm pretty sure that I encountered a similar situation, and that the pin on the lens proved to be the solution. It's actually the firing pin for the shutter, and gets prodded by a mating pin on the camera bayonet.

I also notice that the shutter appears to be open. That doesn't seem right. The shutter should be closed with the lens fired (no instant return mirror). Therefore there's either a fault with the shutter, or it's stuck partway through the exposure cycle and can't be re-cocked. Check the lens isn't set to 'T' for a start.

Also double check the V (self-timer) setting as Chauncey suggested. Moving the MXV lever won't release the self-timer. The timer has to wind down to fire the shutter, and if it's stuck the shutter won't fire. A stuck self-timer is very common, since they get seldom used. Sometimes a stuck ST will respond to rapidly rotating the whole lens back-and-forth in your hand. Like a shaking motion, but twisting instead of side-to-side. If you can hear a slight buzzing, that's a sure sign of the ST mechanism being engaged and stuck.

If it's not the self-timer, then I'm afraid the shutter may be jammed and need at least dismantling and cleaning. Worst case is a broken spring. This is unfortunately not uncommon with Kowa lenses.

Yep, the lens shutter is open no matter what I do...

I double checked the self timer but it doesn't affect anything

The only case where I can remount the lens on the body is if I push the shutter release button on the body, the mirror goes up and the red pins match (red pins on the lens under the bottom of the arrow / holes on the body at 11 o'clock) but it's clearly the wrong position because then, when I advance the shutter knob, the mirror won't go back in down position. It blocks somewhere halfway and the viewfinder is dark. I have to remove the lens to finish the advancement and fire the camera.

I think my lens is jammed because I didn't shoot for a very long time and Kowa lenses don't like inactivity... :(

If my lens is jammed though, I still don't understand how I could finish a film roll just before this happened...

Mechanical leaf shutter SLR systems are always five minutes away from disaster: its the nature of the beast (and why Bronica later took over the market with their electronic leaf-shutter SQ series).

Even the "legendary reliable" Hasselblad is prone to finish a roll normally, then the lens shutter seizes dead in a heartbeat for no apparent reason (requiring a $400 resuscitation). And thats using a Compur or Prontor shutter: the Seiko leaf shutter in the Kowa lenses is worse yet (esp after sitting unused for a long period). I'm afraid you'll need to replace the lens: it probably isn't cost-effective to repair the relatively-inexpensive standard 85mm. Unless you're fortunate enough to know a local tech with a fondness for Kowa, willing to do the work at a steep discount..

• Like 1

I got totally sick of stripping either the camera body or one of the Kowa 6 lenses to keep the system working.

Since the lens is useless as is, and probably beyond economic professional repair; what do you have to lose by attempting a DIY fix?

The lenses strip down to the shutter fairly readily, and usually respond to a clean or minimal lube. That is, the tiniest drop of light oil applied on the tip of a needle to the pivots of any gears you can see.

Other common issues are springs that have slipped their mounting, bent or broken. These obviously have to be re-positioned or treated according to their fault.

A stuck self-timer needs gentle persuasion to wind down, and usually requires slightly more liberal lubrication. The best solution though, is never to use the darned V position of the MXV switch. These days it should be fixed in the X position by any method you see fit. Shear the damned lever off if necessary!

Edited by rodeo_joe|1
  • Like 2

The best solution though, is never to use the darned V position of the MXV switch. These days it should be fixed in the X position by any method you see fit. Shear the damned lever off if necessary!

This advice should be sent as an Amber Alert to every purchaser of any vintage leaf-shutter camera with an "MXV" or "MX" switch. Half the problems with these cameras and lenses is caused by the now-useless M sync gearing or long-disused V self timer gearing: everything usually works OK for long periods at the X setting (which involves no additional gearing), but the moment the switch gets knocked to M or V the whole shebang seizes up and becomes unresponsive to anything but professional service.

This rule applies to everything from old Voigtlander and Retina 35mm folders, to Mamiya C TLR lenses, Hasselblad for sure, Kowa, even Rolleiflex. If the device has a mechanical leaf shutter, glue its sync switch to the X setting.

• Like 1

Since the lens is useless as is, and probably beyond economic professional repair; what do you have to lose by attempting a DIY fix?

Maybe I'll try someday but I'm bad at this kind of things and I'm afraid I do not have enough patience, gear and repair experience.

I'm going to ask for a second opinion to a cam repair service, without incur any cost yet if possible.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated

There's a trick you could try before sending for repair or disassembly. Flood the lens with lighter fluid, pour copious amounts in the slots where the red pins are, although you could remove the back plate first if you like, three screws and it's off. If flooding the lens starts it working again, the trouble would be dried oil and/or grease. If it doesn't work, it will be mechanically locked up somewhere in there.

Flood the lens with lighter fluid, pour copious amounts in the slots

Noooo!

That might free the lens for a few minutes, but the lighter fluid will spread grease from the focussing helicoid everywhere, and remove any lube from the shutter completely when it evaporates.

Then the iris and shutter leaves are almost guaranteed to get gummed by re-deposited oil and grease.

That's just a recipe for ensuring that an extensive professional CLA will be needed in short order.

Maybe I'll try someday but I'm bad at this kind of things and I'm afraid I do not have enough patience, gear and repair experience.

Then perhaps a Kowa system wasn't the best choice. It's a bit like buying a Morris Minor and not expecting to get your hands greasy.:cool:

Edited by rodeo_joe|1

Then perhaps a Kowa system wasn't the best choice. It's a bit like buying a Morris Minor and not expecting to get your hands greasy.:cool:

Indeed. To be honnest, last time I spent 100$ to repair it, I wasn't expect to be in the same situation later.

Initially I wanted to sell this camera to someone who will be actually using it and to keep my Blad, Mamiya 7 and other medium format beasts. Too late I guess. I should have shoot more often with it !