Kowa Six and lenses

brian___2

I just bought a Kowa Six with a 80mm (chrome) 2.5 and a 150mm (black)

3.5 lense. I spent $450.00 for all of it. I have used Nikon for years, and I know a lot about 35mm photography, and I even owned a Bronica at one time, but I never had a Kowa, can someone please tell me what kind of outfit I have just purchased and if there are any

other lense or gadgets that go with it. Thank you

<p>

Brian

notright@selec.net

• 2 weeks later...

There were three versions of the Kowa six produced. The basic Kowa 6 went into production about 1969 with a limited range of lenses available for it immediately(55mm f/3.5, 150mm f/3.5, 250mm f?). A couple of years later the Kowa 6MM was introduced. This had a mirror lock and multiple-exposure facility. The range of lenses and accessories was expanded during this time to include 19mm fisheye, 40mm, a re-designed 55mm, 80mm, and 150mm, 250mm and 500mm. Extension tubes, bellows, eye level prism finder, and release grip were all available for it. In the latter half of the 1970s the Kowa Super 66 was introduced, and the other models dropped. The Super 66 featured interchangeable backs and an improved viewfinder, but was still compatible with the existing lens range.

The system went out of production about 1980, but a good many of them were sold, and most bits and pieces are still obtainable 2nd hand. The 19mm fisheye and 500mm telephoto are extremely rare items (Hen's teeth), and the 40mm wide-angle is fairly difficult to find and so commands a high-ish price.

A word of warning. The 6 and 6 MM have slightly delicate film wind mechanisms, which if used roughly can lead to permanently mis-spaced framing. There is a temptation to use the pull-out winding handle fairly quickly. My advice is; leave the handle "parked" and only use the knob to wind on.

Hope this is of some help.

Best Regards, Pete Andrews.

I have a Japanese price list from the early 70's that lists the Super 66 and the Six MM with the standard 85mm f/2.8 and the following additional lenses: 19mm f/4.5, 35mm f/4.5, 40mm f/4, 55mm f/3.5, 110mm f/5.6 Macro, 150mm f/3.5, 200mm f/4.5, 250mm f/5.6, and 500mm f/8. The 500mm cost 50% more than the Super 66 with lens and the 19mm almost 3 times as much as the camera and 85mm lens! No wonder they are rare! It also notes that (at that time) all lenses were black except that the 55, 150 and 250 were also available in chrome. Cameras were available both ways (4000 yen more for black.) Other accessories listed include a 2x teleconverter, a microscope adapter, and 2 metered finders. Also of interest is that the Kowa sold for 10% less than the Bronica S2 and 25% less than the Pentax 6x7 (which offered 2 less lenses than did the Kowa.)