I've got a Korona 8x20 that is in great condition with new bellows, a

nicely refurbished finish, clean and fully operational hardware, and

four good film holders. The only problem is, it's missing the rear

extension rail.

I'm considering having one made to fit the camera. I'd like for it

to resemble as much as possible the originally supplied rear rail,

but I've never seen one and I don't know what the dimensions should

be. I imagine most dimensions and the general construction would

mirror the front rail? Is that true? What about the length?

I think the biggest obstacle will be finding a pair of the metal

tracks that fit into the grooves on the top surface of the rail, and

mate up with the gears on the bottom of the rear standard. If I

can't find some, then perhaps I can have some new ones machined,

assuming I win the lottery soon. Failing that, I thought maybe I'd

leave the rear rail ungeared, and devise a way to secure the back at

closely spaced fixed intervals along the length of the rail, or

devise a friction lock of some sort, and then just focus with the

front standard. Or maybe do it the other way around, relocate the

tracks from the front extension rail to the new rear rail and focus

from the rear.

Is this a pipe dream, or does it sound doable?

Skip, The Good News:I'm pretty sure you can find one at one of the dealers sites at the Photomall.com now the bad news: Photomall.com site isn't responding. I don't know if its being worked on or what, but give it a try. I know one of the dealers is Bill Moritz and another is Terry Seaman and well as Finger Lakes Bookstore, but I don't think any of them are the guy who had a lot of Banquet and Panorama odds and ends listed. They might know how to get a hold of him, though. Good Luck!

http://www.glennview.com/

Photomall is not responding, as mentioned above, but this direct link will get you to a source that might be helpful. Expensive perhaps, but helpful. But one of our forum members out there must have a rear rail that you could use as a pattern. Glennview sells focusing tracks by the foot I believe. That, together with a skilled woodworker is all you'll probably need.

Skip,

As far as finding the metal gear tracks (called "racks" in machinist lingo), you need to find out if smaller format Koronas take the same size. This worked for me for an 11X14 ROC. At a photo swap meet I found an entire bed from a 5X7 ROC for $25 with same size racks. I suppose there is a slim chance the 8X10 Korona used the same entire rear extension, but the 8X20 is probably wider. However if the side pieces and racks are the same and you just had to widen an 8X10, it would be easier than building from scratch. Racks can be purchased new from gear suppliers. Boston Gear is one company I can think of. You might search Google for them and see if they have an online catalog. I suspect brass racks aren't going to be as easy to find as steel or aluminum. Finally, I don't see anything wrong with an ungeared rear extension, at least until you find racks, other than front focusing being quite a reach when you lean back far enough to see the ground glass. I don't know how Koronas lock down on the bed, so I can't give you any ideas on doing that. Leonard

Great suggestions, guys. Thank you all very much. I've emailed Glenn Evans at Glennview to see if he has any rails or racks or other suggestions. If that doesn't pan out, maybe the swap meets will. Alan Brubaker at filmholders.com sounds looks like a good possibility for information or custom building, too.

Hopefully, someone who has used the 8x20 and Koronas in other formats will know whether the racks and/or extension rails are compatible between various formats. About a year ago, I saw an 8x10 Korona for sale in a local camera store. If it's still there, I'll be able to check it out myself.

I would look into making-if the camera doesn't have one-a SLIDING

TRIPOD BLOCK so you can "firm up" the camera overall and also better

center it over a tripod when the camera is reasonably extended-this

may be of more value, however the camera is used-extension rail or san

extension rail. Again, the large format repair people a la Ritter or

Brubaker could likely make one. This is what I would add to otherwise

great field cameras of as much as century ago had I been there "at the

making." I have seen them on a few Conleys. GODO LUCK..

Skip,

Many years ago I bought a photo box lot at an estate auction that included the full bed and front standard for a panoramic camera. I'll have to check if its Korona and if so will send you the dimentions to see if it fits.

I'd let this go CHEAP as I have no real use for it so dont spend a pile until you hear from me.

Ron Gratz