Konica S2 black ,, fair price??

pc1

there's a Konica S2 black in pristine condition .it's

beautiful in fact ,everything works .. comes with a lens hood ,which

blocks a certain portion of the viewfinder.the seller wants US$200.

for it, is that a fair price for this camera ?? would like to hear

from you guys.. suggestions ? many thanx .... pc

oh BTW , also want ur opinion on , Konica S2 vs. Canonet QL GIII 17 ? been looking for the Canonet but seem to find mostly the QL19... i've seen two of the 17 , but they're not in working condition (pretty beat up) . would appreciate your views and comments.. thanks again .. pc

To add some perspective, my first 35mm camera was a Konica Auto S2 purchased at a military exchange in Viet Nam for US $35 in 1966. I still have it and it remains a formidable camera. I have never heard of a black auto s2, and I thought all S2s came with the sliding lens hood that is held on by a screw on retaining ring, like a filter with no glass. My Viet Nam roommate bought a Canonet G17, just to be different. It also was a fine performer, but I did not think it was as rugged, nor had all the thoughtful builtin features of the S2.

I now own four auto S2s as insurance against when my original bites the dust, although its longevity will no doubt exceed mine. I bought my last S2 about two weeks ago, near mint, with case and manual, fully operational for $65 from a camera repair shop whose owner I have come to know and trust. Of course it is chrome, not black. The S2 is large for a fixed lens 35 mm, heavy, has good metering, an excellent rangefinder/viewfinder that displays parallax correction and the recommended f-stop. It can be used in auto mode (you select the shuter speed, 1 sec - 1/500, camera selects f-stops, and won't permit shutter release unless light is adequate ((prevents taking a picture with lens cap on)), or in manual you select shutter and aperture and no auto override. It has flash synch at all speeds. A remarkable and precise camera for the price.

Are you sure it's an S2?? Never heard of a black S2.

IF it is an S2, then, maybe it is rare and collectible, which would drive up its price. Otherwise, a user-S2 should cost you way less than $200, probably even less than $50.

Could it be an S3, perhaps?? Those do come in black -- and only black. They are excellent cameras -- probably the best of the bunch... And the S3 does command a higher price than the S2 -- but, again IMO, probably not as high as $200.

Do a google search on konica s3 and you will get some good info, especially from cameraquest.com. I believe the camera you have in mind is an S3, not an S2. I have never used one or seen one, but it was apparently highly regarded in its time, and probably today. Regardless, I don't think I would pay more than US $100, and that much only if it were in perfect working condition and nearly perfect cosmetic condition. That is not an expert opinion, just mine based on what the s3 can do in relation to cameras I already have, and also my bank account. I would like to know what the s3 sold for when it was new.

thanks guys for your opinions and comments. yeah ! i checked it again this afternoon ,at the camera shop,held it,tested it,and it's definitely an S2 Auto Konica, at least that's what it says at the front panel near the viewfinder,and yes its all black.and it's in perfect condition .. oh also the lens hood is removable . so ,i'm first gonna check out the links about the S3 also , and decide tomorrow if i want /need that black auto S2.

even if i decide not to buy it, i'll see if i can take photos of it with my digital and upload them here.. cheers !...pc

I bought my Auto S2 about two years ago and still have it. The appearance is not pretty, but boy I'm impressed with what it gives. Isn't this camera 30 years old at least? The meter is flawless, and the lens is as good as my Nikon primes. By the way, I paid something like $40 for mine on the eB** online auction.

Paul,

To give you more food for thought as per your second question re comparison to the Canonet GIII (1.7), let me toss in that I recently used for the first time my Canonet that I picked up in a tag sale (I'm embarassed to admit how little I paid for it ;^) ). I was -- to put it very mildly -- astonished as the resolution of the lens and quality of image produced by this small and relatively inexpensive camera. Some say its not as beefy as the Konica, but if compared to the Konica's competitor I also own (a BLACK Minolta 7S [!]), it feels just fine and I think the basis of the argument relates solely to the dimunitive size of the Canonet.

Hope this helps.

Ed B.

Paul: Not sure what sspecifics you want to know about the two cameras, i will simply try to voice my opinion. Basically, Konica gives automation that you will not have much control with, while Canon gives you a full manual control option. Both cameras take great sharp pictures. Personally, I will go with Canon GIII. It really is a nice camera.

Au contraire! The Konica auto s2 also provides full manual operation as well as shutter priority automation. Tgo manual, rotate the aperture ring on the lens from the auto indicator to the f stop of your choice. There is another ring on the lens that selects shutter speed. Also on the lens barrel is another switch which sets ASA. While i manual mode, you will continue to get recommended f stop values for the shutter speed and ASA you selected; the recommended f stops will be shown on the top side of camera as well as in the viewfinder. In auto, one can lock the exposure settings by a half-depression of the shutter release. Focussing is totally manual. When in manual mode, it will be your responsibility to remove the lens cap. Have I left anything out?

no James , your description was loud and clear , detailed even .. hehe .. thanks . it's a really beautiful camera . and i've seen fantastic shots taken with this one .. even if the price range was equal ,IMHO, i'll take this one vs. a leica . i know i'm gonna get killed for saying that. cheers ! pc .

ok folks , here's the story : went back to the camera store ,and found the black Konica Auto S2 sold for US$185. felt so sad ,but while talking to the old man (owner) he told me the truth, that the previous owner had the top plate anodized (black) and that there never was a black S2.

while looking at the other stock of old leicas , rolleiflexes,zeiss ikontas,etc . i pointed to another black little camera and asked what that was. oh he said this was brought in a week ago to be sold on consignment, lo and behold a Konica Auto S3 (black of course) in immaculate brand new looking state. so i held it, tested,checked.. perfect ! asked how much the guy wanted US$220.so i gave him a hundred bucks as deposit ,and told him i'll be back for it in a week , but the old man told me to take it home and pay him the balance in one week. so here's 2 pix of my new S3. phew ! so now , how do i explain this to the wife ??

http://www.photo.net/photo/1935664

http://www.photo.net/photo/1935664

one thing i just noticed now tho, is that the S3 doesnt have an aperture adjustment (no Av) only Tv mode , will try it on sun.my wife's birthday and i'm taking her on a trip. (good excuse too).

thanks for all your comments and views guys. pc

yep, i guess the the S2 is better in that respect coz it has manual over ride . well thanks for all ideas that you guys shared . will have to test this little beauty , and decide if i wanna keep it or sell it maybe in that big auction site. cheers ! pc

• 3 weeks later...