Konica C35 electric eye

Hi,

I just bought this camera, and am not getting a reading from the exposure meter. There was some white material in the battery well, which I cleaned out. The battery that was there was dead, so I replaced it with an AG13. Nothing. I then removed the from retainer ring and checked the 'eye' connections. They looked pristine.

Please give me any suggestions you have.

Thanks,

...... john

If you can, take off the base and check the connection to the battery chamber. old and leaky batteries left in cameras for years can corrode straight through delicate wiring. If you need to solder a wire back on, then good luck, it’s a fiddly business. Ask someone in the know how to do this properly as you can fry nearby electrical circuitry in a heartbeat. I hope you get it working, I’ve heard good things about the lens.
  • Like 1

Hi Stuart,

Excellent suggestion. One terminal was completely corroded. I soldered it back on and it works beautifully.

(You're right though, it was a fiddly job.)

- Is there a way of slowing down battery drain on a day to day basis?

- Is there a way of checking for light leaks, other than shooting a roll of film? The foam is gummy but not falling off.

Hi Chuck,

The AG13 is "supposed to be" equivalent to the PX675 (which is what was in the camera); although the AG13 is rated at 1.5V as opposed to 1.3+V for the PX675. I understand that, if the battery is not right on wrt voltage, pictures will come out, either over, or under exposed. What are your thoughts?

.... john

• Like 1

Hi Chuck,

The AG13 is "supposed to be" equivalent to the PX675 (which is what was in the camera); although the AG13 is rated at 1.5V as opposed to 1.3+V for the PX675. I understand that, if the battery is not right on wrt voltage, pictures will come out, either over, or under exposed. What are your thoughts?

.... john

I see that Wein makes a 1.35v replacement. If it were my camera. I'd shoot a roll and see if it was acceptable with the AG13 first.

• Like 1

I see that Wein makes a 1.35v replacement. If it were my camera. I'd shoot a roll and see if it was acceptable with the AG13 first.

Yes, I could that, and exchange that batteries to see if there's any difference.

I'm not sure where to get the Wein batteries here ..... near Toronto.

.... john

While the C35 has no meter switch you can minimize battery drain by keeping a lens cap on the camera when not in use or keep it in a closed camera bag. I use the 675 air zinc cell in mine and it's good for at least 3 or 4 months.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the tips. I've heard the air zinc batteries mentioned in blogs. Where do you get them?

.... john

Yes, I could that, and exchange that batteries to see if there's any difference.

I'm not sure where to get the Wein batteries here ..... near Toronto.

.... john

B&H in NYC has them for $4.59 USD

PS - a quick search shows that Henry's in Toronto carries Wein

Edited by chuck909
  • Like 1

Hi Stuart,

Excellent suggestion. One terminal was completely corroded. I soldered it back on and it works beautifully.

(You're right though, it was a fiddly job.)

- Is there a way of slowing down battery drain on a day to day basis?

- Is there a way of checking for light leaks, other than shooting a roll of film? The foam is gummy but not falling off.

Hi Chuck,

.... john

Re light leaks, just test it with film. If they are gummy, they'll need changing. You can do this yourself if you are careful. Make sure you cover up the film aperture so no crud gets on the lens/aperture/shutter. A sharp craft knife and good eyesight are needed to cut sheets of foam that you can get from a craft shop to the appropriate thickness. A good steel rule will help, you'll be amazed how thin you can cut it. Those for the film rails will hold themselves in if you get the thickness right.

• Like 1

Re light leaks, just test it with film. If they are gummy, they'll need changing. You can do this yourself if you are careful. Make sure you cover up the film aperture so no crud gets on the lens/aperture/shutter. A sharp craft knife and good eyesight are needed to cut sheets of foam that you can get from a craft shop to the appropriate thickness. A good steel rule will help, you'll be amazed how thin you can cut it. Those for the film rails will hold themselves in if you get the thickness right.

Right ..... OK

Thanks.