Konica Auto S2's lens vs. SLR offering?

LPLP

I understand the S2's lens is very special. But the context has been when compared to other fixed lens rangefinders. How does it compare to the offerings of classic SLRs? For example, I have an OM-1 with a 50mm Zuiko f/1.8 MIJ—does the Konica have a better lens? Trying to decide on whether I want to track one down. Thanks!

While it's possible to find test reports on SLR lenses and fixed lens rangefinders, it's better to make one's own tests whenever possible. I've used in fixed lens rangefinder: Voigtlander Vitessa L (50mm f 2 Ultron), Konica Auto S2, Konica Auto S, Konica Auto S1.6, Minolta HiMatic 7S, Konica Auto S3, and Canonet GIII 17, to name a few. I haven't found any bad or mediocre performers among the bunch. Same experience among SLR lenses (too many to list). Twice during the 80's/90's decades Popular Photography compared normal SLR lenses. While some lenses led with highest resolution and freedom from distortion, etc, in most picture taking situations it might be difficult to pick a winner.

I used to have a Konica S2, and still have an OM1. I've used both a 50/1.8 and 50/1.4 OM lens with it. In practice I found any image quality differences to be negligible between photos made with the Konica 45/1.8 and the OM 50/1.8. I still have my OM, but sold my S2 long ago because: a) Except for being a bit thicker back to front, the OM body is slightly smaller than the S2. b) The OM body and its controls are more ergonomic to my preference. c) The OM has a faster top shutter speed. d) The OM 50/1.8 lens focuses closer than the lens on the S2. Substitute "Pentax Spotmatic & 55/2 lens" for "OM1 & 50/1.8 lens" and the same four things all apply. But I do find photos made the 55/2 Takumar to be generally as sharp or sharper than anything I ever made with the S2. Though the Konica was a decent and capable camera, I don't regret selling it and keeping the others. YMMV.