Koni Omega Rapid, seeking advice to get it going again

olekbrodowicz

Dear All,

Since a few months I have been the proud owner of a Koni Omega Rapid. I have been lucky to get the whole set with lenses (58mm, 90mm, and 180mm Hexanons) and accessories for a good price with two 120 film backs and a 220 as an extra. I have been really enjoying its heavy and questionable charms but I start to run into a few problems and want to ask if there's anyone who can advise me on how to get it to be the camera it is supposed to be, a reliable and outstanding camera in all conditions and for a long time to come! I will list my questions and I hope to hear from you, any advice will be much appreciated. And I should note: the camera had been standing for the last 15 years unused.

1. The film backs of course: uneven spacing. I have been using the one which looks better and frame 10 usually slips off the film and the spacing is irregular. I live in Europe (Berlin) and do not know anyone who knows these cameras and could repair them for me, I am usually a poor mechanic although in this case I would be willing to gather my patience and try to follow the instructions outlined here: Randys Koni Omega Page - do you think this is an operation that can be carried out without a risk of messing everything up?

2. The 58mm Hexanon, my favorite lens of the set, the shutter speeds are definitely ok but the lens is significantly harder to trigger the shutter in then the other two. Where the other two are quiet and soft to fire this one requires an extra push (which can be annoying when trying to use it at lower shutter speeds because the tension provokes shake) and there is a spring like 'ping!' sound to the shutter once fired, it makes me think that something is not aligned correctly in there.

3. The rangefinder: It happened to me one afternoon when out with the camera that the rangefinder suddenly disengaged, I turned and tured the knob and it came back to life after a moment, I thought it was me but 5 minutes later the same happened, I checked if there was something in front of the RF window but no, then it started to work again and since then no problems. But it makes me fear that one day I wont be able to focus the camera in a crucial moment! (also any advice on increasing the contrast of the RF?)

4. Where do you get a cable release capable of firing the shutter on this thing?

5. A question for the use of the camera: is the film advance meant to be cocked hard or gently: I heard both views. I like the rough "Rapid" way but I also don't want to strain the camera excessively.

These are the problems, I look forward to answers and most of all to any advice on whether this seems to be a camera worth preserving to make it a durable companion or is it better to sell it and look for another friend?

many thanks!

Olek

Nice full kit you have.

I have the same kit but I bought the various pieces separately and have the same problems except for the film holder. The handle and ratchet work ok but the film is not tensioned properly so I stuck a piece of sponge rubber in behind where the film goes so it will provide pressure on the film as it winds through to ensure frame spacing will be fairly even.

The 58mm lens may need cocking by hand if the cocking mechanism doesn't cock the lens all the way. It's still worth going through this operational hardship to use that lens.

Some times the aperture ring on the 90mm and 180mm lenses will get stuck. The shutters must be stripped to fix them, but they are quite fixable shutters.

You will need to find what is wrong with the rangefinder, it may be a loose screw holding the focus knob on it's spindle. They are a reliable and robust rangefinder, not much should go wrong. Also in the service manual there is a "Focusing" diagram that you draw and tape to a wall, stand back a certain distance, look through the viewfinder and check the accuracy of the rangefinder. With the top off, the rangefinder is easy to adjust for both vertical and horizontal.

• Like 1

Thank you so much for your reply.

" The handle and ratchet work ok but the film is not tensioned properly so I stuck a piece of sponge rubber in behind where the film goes so it will provide pressure on the film as it winds through to ensure frame spacing will be fairly even." - well for me the problem is that though the film seems to keep tension if I align the START line with the red dot my 1st frame begins quite a way into the film, initially the sping seems a little too short between the frames and gets progressively (but irregularly) longer with the frames going up to 9 the 10th (usually) is a half, quarter or 3/4 frame depening on the mood of the camera. Where did you stick the rubber in precisely? I could try!

The 58mm lens may need cocking by hand if the cocking mechanism doesn't cock the lens all the way. It's still worth going through this operational hardship to use that lens. - the coking of the lens is no problem, it is the firing that requires the extra tension on the shutter release. All the other lenses have a very smooth and pleasing sound when they are fired, only this one makes a strange metallic 'clonck!'

Also in the service manual there is a "Focusing" diagram that you draw and tape to a wall, stand back a certain distance, look through the viewfinder and check the accuracy of the rangefinder. With the top off, the rangefinder is easy to adjust for both vertical and horizontal. - That is very helpful advice!

Where did you stick the rubber in precisely?

The sponge rubber is stuck with craft glue so it doesn't move, and it's thick enough to provide tension to the last frame (120, not 220)

IMG_6601.JPG.b5e0e76d5d620b164c09d2d5564c9bd9.JPG

the coking of the lens is no problem, it is the firing that requires the extra tension on the shutter release. All the other lenses have a very smooth and pleasing sound when they are fired, only this one makes a strange metallic 'clonck!'

That problem may be a loose "Triggering" lever. On the lens there is a "Cocking" lever and a "Triggering" lever, the triggering lever can come loose or out of place. You will need to check it's operation by hand, just cock the shutter and then push the trigger with your fingernail. Other than that, I don't know what the trouble might be. It won't be in the camera because you said the other lenses fire properly. It must be in the shutter somewhere.

5. A question for the use of the camera: is the film advance meant to be cocked hard or gently: I heard both views. I like the rough "Rapid" way but I also don't want to strain the camera excessively.

The correct way is to gently pull the ratchet out until it gets to the very end, and then apply a little extra pressure to ensure the shutter is cocked. 95% of the sliding action is advancing the film, the last 5% of the action is cocking the shutter.

• Like 1