stereo slides processed anywhere? If the answer is yes, I need to

borrow this camera, and give it a try. From a quick look at the

manual, it seems that you can use standard 135 film in addition to

the specified 335 film for the camera. So, if I can find a place to

process the slides, I may be able to create a few wonderful memories

for my kids to enjoy in the future.

Thanks again for any help!

Jeff

Jeff, The Kodak Stereo damera does produce brilliant pictures. Yes, it takes normal 35mm slide film. You may need to get it processed but cut it and mount it yourself. Not sure the old Kodak service still exists.

P.S: Why did I type "damera"?. A Nokia type commercial is being tested when "camera"appears in a line. It hotlinks to a commercial!

It is, in principle, possible to scan and post stereo pairs here. I can even shoot with a digicam and a stereo prism or a stereo mirror attachment (Pentax) for the ease.

But, those who have experienced viewing a stereo slide with a viewer would know that they are WORLDS apart.

Absolutely no match at all.

The humble Anastons on that Kodak Stereo Camera provide real magic.

My sample has an unreliable shutter at the moment. I was thinking of hacking the camera to convert it to a 24x90 panorama camera. After looking at the slides again, I just can not. I will fix the shutter sometime soon.

What about shooting print film and then scanning the negs to the format of an old-fashioned stereopticon card? That's always assuming, of course, that you can find an old stereopticon viewer to use.

I have one of these cameras too, but alas, it is sitting now with its shutter disassembled, awaiting a patient time when I will try for the third time to get it to click cleanly and not stick. It's a very simple shutter, but this one just somehow doesn't want to click!

Borrow the camera and start shooting. Though the camera represents 50's technology, it has not been surpassed in 50 years. In fact, surpassing it has not really been attempted.

Whenever someone sees me with one of my stereo cameras, they all assume it to be a new technology and ask where they can buy one.

The old slides you looked at were probably done on Kodachrome, if they still looked good. Most other slide film of the time would have probably faded to a large extent.

I have been very much into stereo photography since the early 50's and nothing compares to looking at kodachrome slides through a first rate stereo slide viewer. Anaglyphs and printed stereo cards, as well as stereo pairs online are great to look at as well, but they have never held the same excitement or realism as slides. Of course,this is my own opinion.

All the supplies needed to mount stereo slides are readily available on the internet. Even detailed instructions on the mounting process is readily available on line free. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Last year I went to a camera show in Massachusetts and there was a stereo photography club there with an interesting display. A couple of months ago I met a guy photographing trains with two cameras in some sort of homebrew mount. I asked if he was shooting two different films and he said no, he was shooting Kodachrome in each for stereo slide shows. Said he was going to England this fall for a big stereo camera slide show. Guess I'm learning that stereo photography has had its followers all along.

Stereo photo cards from the late 19th century are easy to find at antique shops in the New England area. These were used with economical hand-held viewers, and I see these for sale once in a while also. It was all the big rage back then.

Thanks again for all of the great help. I need to find out how to mount these slides by myself.

All of the slides were on Kodacrome, and have really held up over time. The earliest slide that I looked at was from 1955, with later ones from as late as 1980. The camera and equipment were all from my wife's great uncle, who worked for Kodak for about 45 years.

Thanks again,

Jeff

One of the greatest things I have ever seen, were stereo slides of myself, my parents and my grandparents from 1952. To be able to step into the past with such exceptional realism, to see myself at age 11 and my family as I remembered them, in our old 3 room apartment,is a thrill that can not be equaled. Not just the people , but the rooms, furniture,bric a brac, etc. I made copies of some of them and printed various stereo cards and anaglyphs, and although they were interesting, they still did not equal the original slides.

Any good resolution slide film can be used. And Hama still makes a good cutter for the image pairs. The most useful mounts are made by a German company called RBT. And there are mounting jigs to help line up the pictures. Actually, it is tedious but not at all difficult to mount stereo pictures. Finding a nice viewer that is affordable is a little challenge. There is still an active fraternity around who can help you get into the hobby and turn out good results. Even better than what was around in the '50s. Yes, Kodachrome had a special appeal and longevity and high high resolution that is needed in a viewer...folks are now playing with paired Sony cameras for digital imaging. Look up Dr T. on line for advice from a stereo expert. Cut and paste this: <p>http://home.att.net/~drt-3d/index.htm <p>

Gerry Siegel, Mililani Town

• 1 month later...

Jeff - the Kodak Stereo is a great camera... I've got six of them!

I've been using mine since Christmas and have filled a box with

the slides I've mounted. I've also been collecting ye olde Realist

format slides from the 1950s/'60s (USA and European), though

that interest has tailed off now that I'm doing more of my own.

Still, all my neighbiours are agog at the lifelike views of the past -

their knowledge of stereo is a Snow White And The Seven

Dwarves disc in a ViewMaster.

You'll need to mount the slides yourself, but with RBT slide

mounts it's very easy. You'll also need a light meter. Get in touch

if you want to know more practical stuff.

Regards, Paul Sanderson (London, UK)

sandy@dircon.co.uk

• 3 years later...
<p>As my In-Laws passed away, I discovered the same thing: thousands of Kodak Stereo Slides along with the original Kodak Stereo Viewer! It is unbelievable! There are 'real-like' 3D images of The Great Canyon, Washington DC, and many places around the world, all from the '50s! The Kodak viewer is great, but being a programmer, I'm thinking about a special software that could show them on a computer without any glasses. Lots of work and a long, long time, so I'm wondering if other people would be interested in it!</p>

• 1 year later...