Kodak Shirleys

A long time ago I remember reading something about Kodak's test negatives/transparencies, which typically featured

a girl for flesh tones, etc. The girl (and thus the test neg) was called a "Shirley"

I've searched all over and I can't find anything about it. I see people referring to Kodak test negs as Shirleys, but no

website that shows them over the years, no source to buy them, etc.

Anyone know anything about Shirleys? I'd love to know.

Thank you everyone.

I'm an amateur historian, and I find stuff like this fascinating. I'm not interested in generic "test negatives," I'm interested in Kodak Shirleys. I wanted to collect/see them and how they changed over the years. If I can get a variety of them, I'll put them on my website.

If anyone knows where I can find them (they're not even on eBay--at least I haven't seen any), I'd love to hear about it.

Special thanks, Waldo, for posting that one. Do you know when it was made?

John's correct. The first Shirley I posted is from the 1974 Kodak Color Dataguide. Looking further I see that the Shirley negative is still in the envelope...looking pretty good, too. So I've posted the two of them below. BTW, the color of the Shirley print isn't quite as ghoulish as it shows on Photo.net.<div>00QSrH-63289684.jpg.e27d035d2ad5c191c63180aa9dd7c8e8.jpg</div>

James, these negatives, a little more technically, were referred to as printer control negatives, or perhaps setup or slope control negatives. If you do a search with some of these terms, I'm sure you'll come up with something.

The true purpose, rather than a simple "good" reference negative, was to assist setup with automatic printers or analyzers so that color shifts due to exposure were automatically handled.

I don't know about now, but as of a couple years ago, Kodak sold a set of Portra 135-film negs under cat# 1798511. For older ones, look for someone selling off an older mini-lab system.

Decline, not demise.

Most of the decline has already happened. The casual film users have gone. The devoted film users are likely to stay around for awhile. I expect product discontinuances to slow down. We wont have all of our favorite products, but we will have some of them for years to come.

Here's Shirley scanned from the negative in the 1974 Kodak Color Dataguide. I did a little overall color balance in Nikon Scan, to get the background reasonably neutral. The scan looks a lot nicer than the print. If you do highlight/midtone/shadow color balance on dress/grey card/gloves, you can get the color even nicer, the sort of results that were only possible in dye transfer in the old days.

Shows how nasty the color papers were in 1974, in my opinion.<div>00QUNc-63831684.thumb.jpg.4ced1b74f7a08822fb4b3d8c686e0f58.jpg</div>

Playing with the color print viewing filter kit, maybe it needs +5M or +5B to get the background neutral. The Blue helps the skin tones a but more. But I'm still learning color balancing, to be honest. (The picture is in sRGB color space, for your information. Scanner Nikon Coolscan IV.)

Another obvious difference of the scan is that the highlights aren't blown out, which they sure are on the prints. No detail in the fur on the prints. The papers had rather limited dynamic range, and a narrow color gamut.

• 6 months later...