Kodak Retina Reflex

I wholeheartily agree with Mike. I acquired a Mamiyaflex C about 15 yrs ago for a wopping $10. It was a real beater but functioned beatifully. Over the years acquired many of the lens offerings and was never dissapointed. I also got a "newer" C220 later...oddly the viewfinder is brighter on the older Mamiyaflex C. I believe, but cannot verify, the older camera is a smidge heavier. On several vacations I carried the Mamiyaflex C in a large fannypack while on a bicycle and it got a lot of accidental abuse. I never worried about that camera like I do most of my cameras which I am much more careful with.

As for the Kodak Retina Reflex I have one that suffers from prism rot(what do you call it?) when you can only see the central slit in the center clearly through the viewfinder. Too bad as everything else works well.

Edited by Dan Deary
Dan Deary

JDM - You are welcome and I wish you the same.

Mike & Dan - The Mamiya MF series is definately well built. They seem to put much more effort into this series than their 35mm cameras.

Dan - It is too bad about your Retina Reflex. It is generally the shutter and the rest of the sequence of actions necessary to take the shot that cause a problem. I am having fun with my Bessamatic. The shutter works but the sequencing action is very stiff. I am taking my time trying to do no harm as I fix it. It was such a bargain I thought it worth the time and trouble.

Thanks for posting these, and all the best for 2018!

Two nice reviews by Keppler, of the Retina Reflex and the Mamiyaflex. I used a Retina Reflex S almost 50 years ago, on a trip. It was a very nice camera. I am told that they have a lot of mechanical trouble these days; but the lenses were fantastic.

The articles on checking used cameras are great, useful guides.

In the ads, the Asahi Pentax was coming but the Exakta was still queen. I like the Kodak miniature camera ad, making a point about the value of the EVS cards.

These posts are giving me an education. I did not know that the Hawkeye was for girls, and the Mamiya 35 had interchangeable backs.

• 3 weeks later...