Kodak Reflex First Version - Hood Removal?

I've acquired a nice working Kodak Reflex. The mirror looks reasonable through the viewing lens but I'd like to take the hood off and see if it will clean up, along with the focusing screen (I'm aware that it's an easily damaged front surface mirror).

KRf.thumb.jpg.6936f5eda75e1db44792597f882126a7.jpg

I found a video showing how to do it with the second version, by removing the nameplate, secured by screws, then removing two screws from under the nameplate, when the hood can be lifted off. Unfortunately the first version has the nameplate riveted on.

There are two screws at the back. I removed these but nothing seemed to come loose. So does anyone know how to get it off? If not I can live with it, but I've removed the hoods of every TLR I've got and cleared out the dirt underneath. Thanks in advance!

KRscr.thumb.jpg.a9c4ad34c3abf2146bd2d39869206862.jpg

Edited by John Seaman

Thanks for this Charles. Those are riveted too. And looking at it more closely, the rectangular section just above the strap lug is actually part of the main body casting. And the two rods which form the pivots of the front and rear flaps are in holes in the main casting - you can see the end of one of these rods in the second picture. So I don't think the hood comes off in one piece at all, you seem to need to drive out the rods, when the flaps will come off individually. And heaven knows how you would get it back together. Yikes.

I found a picture of a Kodak Reflex 1 here:

Kodak Reflex - 1946

The picture clearly shows screws rather than rivets, and does NOT show the holes in the upper edges of the main casting for the pivot rods you can see on my camera. So I conclude that the design was changed. Mine must be an early version with a non removable hood. The later version of the Kodak Reflex, and the Kodak Reflex 2, had the removable nameplate, behind which were the hood release screws.

I'll just have to put up with the dirt.

• 1 year later...

Oh right, thanks.

I see there are four screws near the corners of each side panel. If I unscrew those, do the panels come off? I assume the film advance knob, and perhaps the flash socket, would have to be removed first.

By the way, I did go on to take pictures with it - and found that the viewing lens focus was off:

LINK - At Last The Kodak Reflex

I just rechecked mine, you have to remove the rivets, on the name plate. Then you will see two screws that need to be removed. I threaded the rivet holes and used screws to remount the name plate. If you ever want to clean or take the side panels off, only the film advance and film release knob need to be removed. The film release knob screw is counter clockwise to un-screw it. The flash socket is not removed, but be careful of the flash sync wire connected to it. Edited by valdormar_hauslendale

Valdormar, I'm still puzzled. To be honest, it's not really worth removing the rivets and risking damaging something (I know my limitations).

If you look closely at my second picture, you will see that the two rods which form the pivots of the front and rear flaps are in holes in the main casting - you can see the end of one of these rods (note that the rectangular section just above the strap lugs is actually integral to the main body casting). So I don't think the hood comes off in one piece at all, you seem to need to drive out the rods, when the flaps will come off individually. And heaven knows how you would get it back together.

When you have got a minute, perhaps you would look at your camera to check whether the two pivot rods come into holes in the top casting like mine, which as I said in an earlier post, I suspect to be an early version with a different method of fixing the hood. Thanks again.