Kodak Masterview 4X5

larry_hults

<p>I the late sixties I got my hands on the above camera. The guy who was the first owner was a Kodak employee who died the day of his retirement after 30 plus years at Kodak. He bought the camera and had it packed to take an African safari after he retired but he died before he could go.<br>

It came to me through a friend who had access to the family estate.<br>

It is essentially unused. I am sure he took a few photos with it and I took it on one two day photo trip to Idaho.<br>

it is in it's original case and has three film holders.<br>

The lens is a Kodak Graphic Lash Matic 127mm F4.7 Ektar<br>

having said all that, how would I go about finding out what this kit is worth and what is the best way to sell it?<br>

Any suggestions would be appreciated. The proceeds will go toward my Granddaughter's college fund.<br>

LH</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The camera rights were sold to Calumet and they produced the same camera for several years, so there are a lot of them out there. They aren't worth a whole lot, but here is a link to someone selling one with a few extra's (polaroid backs are worthless). I don't know this lens myself--not sure I have heard that designation before either.</p>

<p>Anyway, if you have a need for a 4x5 hold onto it as it really isn't worth a lot(this seems a bit high to me as my guess would be between $250-350).</p>

<p>http://providence.craigslist.org/pho/2385558110.html</p>

<p>Here's a link to a Calumet version--a lot less value than I mentioned above:</p>

<p>http://www.keh.com/camera/Large-Format-Camera-Bodies/1/sku-LF020090013850?r=FE</p>

<p>Hi Larry,<br>

I was with the original Calumet when we bought the KMV 4x5 and straightened out the mess.<br>

Regarding the 127 Kodak lens, it is truly excellent but it just barely covers 4x5 except in extreme close up, it was designed for press cameras.<br>

The family molds for the castings were superb easily worth more than 300K. All the other tooling was poor permitting misallignment of the parts. The design for movements was terrible, you could only swing and tilt 12 degrees, the monorail was 430 stainless, both outrageously heavy and so hard to machine the drive slot in the monoral, that the cutting tools had to be re-dressed every 6 to 10 cuts at a cost of over $47.00 per tool, the track lock was a stainless steel pin into a stainless steel shaft, how's that working for you!<br>

When we finished, the parts lined up, swings and tilts were limited only by the bellows. In testing it was found that duralumin for the monorail had the same resistance to distortion as SS430 but weighed 3.5 lbs less and could tolerate 5,000 milling cuts before re-dressing. The track lock was a nylon pellet that wouldf allow both dightening or locking as desired. At $89.95 per camera we made more porfit than Kodak at $155.00, and our customers could afford more accessories.</p>

<p>I think your camera and lens are worth about $125.00 unless some collector falls in love with it. I've bought several Calumets with case and quality LF lenses for for $150 to $200 and Cambo's (now Calumet) with quality case and LF lenses for $200 to $400 for my students.</p>

<p>Lynn </p>