Kodak HC-110 developer best for old found film?

Well not exactly found film..but I have a ton of vintage film I want to shoot. Sealed boxes of 8x10 b/w

with expiration dates of 20-25 years ago. I notice that many people that process found film use HC

-110 as the developer of choice. Is this because of convenience? Or, are there valid reasons, such as

suppression of age fog, for picking this particular developer? Is this the best choice for old b/w film?

Normally, with fresh LF materials I would use D-76 straight in a tray. Is there an advantage to HC-110,

other than mixing convenience, when processing vintage film? I am referring just to b/w, not the cross

processing of obsolete color negative films. Oh, and to ensure I am on topic, I should say that I use,

and will be using a variety of view cameras at least 60 years old, and lenses of that age or older. So my

equipment fits this category.

HC-110 is good at keeping fog down. Plus, a lot of old films have to be developed in tanks using a lot of developer. A roll of 122 film in a reel takes about 30 ounces of developer, so using a cheap developer really helps.

If you're developing 8x10 in deep tanks, you might want to go to the traditional DK-50. Good keeping properties in a deep tanks.

HC-110 is not cheap, at least the last bottle I bought was not and it had risen considerably in price since the previous bottle. Many developers are cheaper than HC-110. There are special chemicals and techniques for suppressing fog but I'll leave it to the photo chemistry books to explain the details.