Kodak Gold ISO 100

<p>Unless somebody out there is making counterfeit Kodak Gold... which seems unlikely... it's what it claims to be. Gold 100 isn't hard stuff to find.</p>

<p>Gray Market usually means not being sold in the country it was intended for. Say Kodak distributes the film in many countries and a wholesaler in Brazil is overstocked. So he knows a guy in New York - somehow, it's always New York - and offers to sell it at a discount, and it ends up in an American store at 15 cents less than the usual price. That's gray market.</p>

<p>Gold 100 is hard to find in the States.</p>

<p>The previous generation emulsion was a favorite of mine. It was, and likely still is, the highest resolving negative color film available in 135. It had a wonderfully warm color palette. The film was also physically robust with respect to storage conditions.</p>

<p>Relatively high graininess was the only downside to Gold 100.</p>

<p>I am looking for a 35mm color film that I can use consistently and wonder if ISO 100 is too limited. Maybe I should look for something like ISO 400 instead. What would happen if I used an ISO 100 film in low light with or without flash?</p>

<p>Color neg film shows grain more than transparency film in my experience. Even Fuji NPS, rated at ISO 160, was really grainy when I scanned it. Unless you think you need ISO 400, I'd stick with 100 film and just use a tripod or monopod in low light.</p>

<p>I don't know if ISO 100 is fast enough for low light without a flash, unless you are on a tripod. If you are on a tripod, then go for it. If not, I'd think about getting some 400 speed film too.</p>

<p>Why not use Kodak Gold 100 and 400? Just pick which one you need for the situation. If you want to spend more money, Portra 160 and 400 make a nice pair. I don't find the grain obtrusive on either of them.</p>