Kodak Ektachrome E 100G

upscan

Kodak recently announced their E100G and GX films. In the Specs, the

100G looked like a dream film, with excellent MTFs which amazingly

showed no 'adjacency effect' whatsoever at the very low frequencies.

Additionally it has an extremely fine grain and neutral gradation

although a saturated film. If it is as good as claimed it may offer

an alternative to Velvia as on specs alone it seems better than

Velvia.

The question is whether anyone in this forum has had the opportunity

to test this film in any format yet? Kodak announced that it will

have it available in Ready Load format in 4X5.

The local camera stores here in the Phoenix area can't get either the G or GX in 4X5 cut or readyloads yet. I tried the 120mm G last weekend and was impressed. Very nice colors and fine grain but NOT a competitor to Velvia in saturation. For long time exposures it beats Velvia or Provia handily. Even the GX is not supposed to compete with Velvia (they retained the 100VS for that). The GX is suppose to be a little warmer than the G, like the old 100SW. For being in the digital age we are sure getting some great new films!

-Jerry

Thanks for your answers, guess it is a little too early. Tim: Do not know how the Kodak E100G compares with Velvia 100F since Fuji has no specs sheets that I know for that film yet. However, it is interesting to note that the Kodak E100G has the same granularity, 8RMS, as Provia 100F. The Kodak E100G is designed for neutral colours, that alone would make it different from Velvia, whose colours are not.

Julio, from what I could tell, Tim has yet to remofe his tongue from his cheek about the Velvia 100f. I too would love to hear from anyone who has tried this film. I suspect it will be a nice saturated but neutral film. I will probably stick to my e100vs for the nature shots, and of course velvia (not the velvia 100f :)

Eric: Yes, it will take awhile to get the data and the film. I do think however that the 100G will be definetely worth a try on the basis of the data available for it. Kodak claims it is a saturated film but from the data available I can't tell. Kodak has been blamed for the crazy colours and unnatural saturation in some of its reversal films. Kodak seems to convey that with this one it fixes all that and then some. If so, it is about time. The Velvia 100F should be quite predictable, same as Velvia, faster and finer grain. That is my guess but Fuji has kept the data under wraps. The Astia has finer grain yet than the Velvia or Provia 100F and is aimed at portraiture, which probably means under-saturated reds, see Ma, no pimples!