Just read a couple of online articles from 2017 saying that Kodak are bringing back their Ektachrome slide film. They indicated a target of about January 2018 or some time after that. Has anyone heard/seen anything?

I used Ektachrome 64 in its 120 format for years and loved it but I think it will be back as 100 speed film. Very timely as Fuji are not making Velvia and I have only two rolls of Velvia left :( Here in the UK, it is extremely difficult to source Velvia so Ektachrome would be welcome.

Kodak is either having difficulties with production, or sees no demand for Ektachrome ATM.

But hold on a minute. Is Velvia discontinued now? I know they are killing off C-41 products, but E-6 too?

P.S. Velvia/Provia are historically known to have better resolution than Kodak peers. So they better do something about that if they are releasing anything at all

But hold on a minute. Is Velvia discontinued now? I know they are killing off C-41 products, but E-6 too?

There was a memo running around that certain PACKAGING was being discontinued, bu not the emulsions themselves.

I would consider the last generation of Ektrachrome(E100G/E100GX) to top the Fuji products in terms of resolving power and also grain. I have frequently called E100G the most digital-like film I've ever used. I can always spot it on the light table because it really is a very "clean" looking film.

It lacks the over-the-top color of Velvia, and really is less saturated in than Provia. I still like Provia as a good all-around film, but I'd probably replace it with E100G if it came back on the market. Since I doubt they'll bring back E100GX, I'll have to keep an 81B or 81C on the lens all the time(I like my slides warm, and often use either an 81A or a Moose polarizer with Velvia).

With all of that said, I shot a roll of E100G last week, and picked it up from the lab yesterday. I think that the roll I shot was a bit past its prime-it's still as "clean" as I think of E100G being, but the color is a bit dull.

• Like 1

Kodak is either having difficulties with production, or sees no demand for Ektachrome ATM.

P.S. Velvia/Provia are historically known to have better resolution than Kodak peers. So they better do something about that if they are releasing anything at all

I take your comment on board re better resolution which can be proved/disproved by scientific testing. However, my own, very unscientific testing, proves to me that Kodak is the better emulsion. Of course, this is a discussion which could go on and on and on and on............:)

It is becoming very difficult, at least here in the UK, to get hold of Velvia at a reasonable price with some characters hiking the price way up to silly levels. Kodak might just dent that, I hope.

There was a memo running around that certain PACKAGING was being discontinued, bu not the emulsions themselves.

I would consider the last generation of Ektrachrome(E100G/E100GX) to top the Fuji products in terms of resolving power and also grain. I have frequently called E100G the most digital-like film I've ever used. I can always spot it on the light table because it really is a very "clean" looking film.

It lacks the over-the-top color of Velvia, and really is less saturated in than Provia. I still like Provia as a good all-around film, but I'd probably replace it with E100G if it came back on the market. Since I doubt they'll bring back E100GX, I'll have to keep an 81B or 81C on the lens all the time(I like my slides warm, and often use either an 81A or a Moose polarizer with Velvia).

With all of that said, I shot a roll of E100G last week, and picked it up from the lab yesterday. I think that the roll I shot was a bit past its prime-it's still as "clean" as I think of E100G being, but the color is a bit dull.

Ben I agree with everything you say and I also habitually use a warm filter which I have even carried over to digital by using the appropriate slider.

I think it's the first sign of reducing the production. But can also be my paranoia.

I take your comment on board re better resolution which can be proved/disproved by scientific testing. However, my own, very unscientific testing, proves to me that Kodak is the better emulsion. Of course, this is a discussion which could go on and on and on and on............:)

It is becoming very difficult, at least here in the UK, to get hold of Velvia at a reasonable price with some characters hiking the price way up to silly levels. Kodak might just dent that, I hope.

I've read about that comparison in some article a few weeks ago actually. As for my personal opinion, Ektachrome looks more pleasant to my eyes than Fuji peers. In fact I prefer Kodak because it's got colors from my childhood (there were no Fuji films out here) and I want Ektachrome to return badly so I can run a few test rolls of slide films first time in my life. Hope I'll live long enough.

From what I've read, Kodak is pretty far along with E100. Expect to see it this summer.

In Byte magazine, Jerry Pournelle had a phase for vapor ware -- "Real Soon Now"

I am not bating my breath waiting on this one; but will be happy when, and if, it ever actually appears.

I am eagerly waiting for a color reversal film for Super8 and 16mm movie film. The reversal films available are slit still films that are not really good for cameras. For still photography I have been using Provia in 120. Will we ever see it?

In Byte magazine, Jerry Pournelle had a phase for vapor ware -- "Real Soon Now"

I am not bating my breath waiting on this one; but will be happy when, and if, it ever actually appears.

I have a phrase for Jerry Pournelle, but I won't say it in polite (or impolite) society. :) I understand there are beta (really alpha) rolls of this film in existence..

Hi Folks

Just got this response to my query to Kodak:

"Dear Franck,

Thank you for your interest in our Ektachrome film.

The Ektachrome Film is due to be launched this year, currently we do not have a precise date for the launch, you are most welcome to stay tuned in with our social channels for more news on Ektachrome.

Regards"