I recently purchased a Kokak 2D 8x10. This will be an excellent

camera to use, but I'm wondering if there are 4x5 or 5x7 reduction

backs available for this camera? They could either be made by Kodak

at the time, or would there be other 3rd party backs that would work

on the 2D? For example, will a 4x5 or 5x7 back for a Kodak 8x10

Master View work on the 2D, since the Master View is the predecessor

to the 2D. Or, is there some other brand that would works? Any

suggestions would be appreciated.

The coolest accy back for I believe the 2D is the 7X11. A neat aspect ratio when you get tired of 4 to 5. I'm adapting one that started life as a Kodak back for use on my Deardorff. I have most of an old Ansco 810 to 45 back if you'll send me good measurements. I think they interchanged.

I have a 5x7 back made by Kodak for this camera and I've seen a 4x5 back also. Recently on eBay, I saw a sliding half frame back for the 8x10 2D. I cannot remember if it took two 5x8 photos or two 4x10 photos, but I think it was 5x8. Sorry, I can't tell you exact brands other than Kodak which have backs that fit, but I know there are some. Seems I've also seen a front lensboard that has a special tilting mechanism also.

As far as I know, there wasn't a 7X11 back made for the 8X10 2D. Eastman made a 7X11 version of the 2D that was slightly larger and heavier than the 8X10. My 8X10 2D back is 11 5/8" square; my 7X11 back is 12 3/4" square. Of course an extension adapter back can be made to fit a 7X11 back to an 8X10 2D. Here is a site with great photos of the 7X11 2D: http://www.fiberq.com/cam/ekc/2d.htm

I agree with Jim regarding the 7X11 ratio being better than the 8X10 ratio for many subjects. It is too bad it is so much trouble finding holders for 7X11.

I have an mid-1950s B&J catalog that lists reducing backs B&J made for the 8X10 2D, so you might find one of those, but I suspect it will be easier to find one made by Kodak. They seem to show up on eBay fairly often. It seems to me the 5X7 backs are more common than the 4X5s. I tried fitting the back from my 8X10 Ansco on my 8X10 2D and it is slightly smaller (and doesn't have pins like a 2D back). I suspect the Master View back won't fit a 2D, but Kodak made a metal camera very similar to the 2D which may have the same size back as the wooden 2D.