Kodachrome processing

<p>I was going through my father's old camera bag and found many kodachrome film cases. They are 8mm and has only 'MADE IN U.S.A. BY KODAK- RUN FILM TWICE THROUGH CAMERA- RETURN IN THIS CAN FOR PROCESSING.' With all the paperwork and labels on other film cans, i believe the images are from when my Father was in Vietnam. I would really like to get it developed but I am not 100% of what it really is or haw to go about developing it. All the research i have done has pointed me in the direction of 'KODACHROME COLOR MOVIE FILM FOR 8MM.' <br>

If any one can help that would be so great.<br>

-Jilli</p><div>00cma0-550648084.jpg.ec162dbbbb0458d4eb2aab3703ce5a91.jpg</div>

<p>Kodachrome processing ceased when the stock of necessary chemicals was exhausted, and that was for the K-14 Kodachrome. This would be an even older version of Kodachrome. However, many people have had their 35mm Kodachromes developed as black & white to save images that would otherwise be lost. Possibly you might find a lab that could process the 8mm Kodachrome as a negative. </p>

<p>Things I should have mentioned in my prior post:</p>

<ul>

<li>A black metal can is old, perhaps from the 40s, likely before the mid 60s.</li>

<li>Open the can and look at the film on the spool without unrolling it. (This is safe to do is subdued light--as in, not sunlight.)</li>

<li>If the back of the film on the outside of the roll is brown, it is not Kodachrome. It could be Ektachrome or some other brand. If it is black, then it is almost certainly Kodachrome.</li>

<li>There might be a message on the end of the film formed by punching little holes in the film. (I don't have any 8mm film in my collection to check.) If it says something like "HALF EXP" or "TURN OVER", then you know that one side of the film has been exposed. If it says anything else or there is no message, then you don't know whether both sides were exposed or neither side.</li>

</ul>

<p>What you have there is isn't even Kodachrome II or Kodachrome 40, just original Kodachrome from probably the early 1960s at best. If the box was already opened, then your father most likely at least opened it with the intention of putting it in his camera and might very well have actually shot the roll. Or he might have opened it and put it back without using it. No way to tell without developing it, and at this point the best you can hope for is B&W. Expect to pay $30, $40 or more -- it's a custom job at this point.</p>