Kodachrome developing

Not to mention, quoting his own words here......

....."I take no responsibility for color shifts, lack of image, weirdness in development, or children born with the head of a dog due to my process.

These couplers are LIKELY not going to give long term image stability."

.......How successful do you think the process was.?

According to various Internet sources several people have tried developing Kodachrome at home, with success and at high cost and all.

As for me, I just don't understand. When product is discontinued, you have to move on to the next best thing. What's the point in stashing the dead stuff in a freezer? How long will it last? Twenty years? And I'll have to use it "wisely"? With economy and all? That's not for me, sorry.

at least 9 years old

Lots of nine-year-old B&W film is still, for most purposes, fresh.

Kodachrome can be processed, sort of, as black and white.

Here, on the other hand is a Soviet c41 color film (Tso 100) - outdated in 1992 (much like its parent country) and shot and developed in 2011

ZO-100M-kasseta-1.jpg.22d2bdc6e3cfaf3a7515365627116f19.jpg

TsO-100M-92-16.jpg.79bae5eacae0c1aa7ecce3fc2d056c58.jpg

"Kodachrome can be processed, sort of, as black and white."

- Kodachrome is black and white, since there are no colour-couplers incorporated in the 3 layer (+ yellow filter) emulsion.

But why would you not shoot fresh B&W film instead of outdated 'colour' film, if a monochrome picture was going to be the end result?

Somewhere I have part of a bulk reel of FP4 from the 1980s. I could shoot colour separations with it, if I was crazy enough, and probably get better results a lot easier than trying to home process Kodachrome.

Edited by rodeo_joe|1

But why would you not shoot fresh B&W film instead of outdated 'colour' film, if a monochrome picture was going to be the end result?

Not a question of shooting it, but a question of recovering latent images on old film.. duh. Pictures taken by Granpa back in 1982, for example.

And sometimes, it's just fun to try out something to see how it works. Why so serious?

• Like 2

Because Joe just likes to criticize anything that he sees as being "obsolete" and "archaic"-that's just what he does if you watch his posting history on here.

- Sorry you feel that way about my posts Ben.

My view is: That we're extremely fortunate to live in an age where we have the easiest, most immediate and transparent method yet devised, at our disposal for the purpose of making pictures. Digital photography is the nearest we've yet got to simply blinking and being able to capture what our eyes see; to be made permanent and shareable with others.

The word 'photography' literally means drawing with light. Since that should be the purpose of the exercise, I fail to see why the latest technology shouldn't be used to that purpose.

'Photography' does not mean faffing about with cameras, lenses and chemicals. That has nothing to do with making pictures.

The word 'photography' literally means drawing with light. Since that should be the purpose of the exercise, I fail to see why the latest technology shouldn't be used to that purpose.

'Photography' does not mean faffing about with cameras, lenses and chemicals. That has nothing to do with making pictures.

Joe,

What you're ignoring is that some of us DO enjoy "faffing about with cameras, lenses, and chemicals."

Yes, when the rubber meets the road my D800 or my 4x5 gear come out. I can't overlook the fact that I'm a chemist, though, and for me at least this sort of stuff is fascinating even if its not overly practical.

I get as much enjoyment out of sometimes doing things the hard way as I do just going straight to the result.

Photography IS a hobby for me, but it is an all-encompassing hobby from the way the light is gathered, recorded, and reproduced.

Because Joe just likes to criticize anything that he sees as being "obsolete" and "archaic"-that's just what he does if you watch his posting history on here.

Think you need to walk back comments like this especially now with so little traffic on the site. It's off-putting and unnecessary. Glass houses and rocks thrown?

Think you need to walk back comments like this especially now with so little traffic on the site. It's off-putting and unnecessary. Glass houses and rocks thrown?

While I agree that maybe the words were a bit much....I think I also agree that we should all be a little more tolerant because of the low, low traffic here. That goes for me as well Watson....my apologies for being short with you in the past. It would be nice if this forum could become what it once was. I still cannot believe how low the traffic has become.

"Kodachrome can be processed, sort of, as black and white."

- Kodachrome is black and white, since there are no colour-couplers incorporated in the 3 layer (+ yellow filter) emulsion.

Many years ago, I heard that a color film has aging properties similar to a black and white film four times as fast.

Consider that each color layer might get only about 1/3 the light that a black and white film would get, with even more loss for the some layers.

Kodachrome 64 might last about as long as Tri-X, though.

But yes, use fresh or old black and white film, not old color film.

-- glen

Many years ago, I heard that a color film has aging properties similar to a black and white film four times as fast.

Consider that each color layer might get only about 1/3 the light that a black and white film would get, with even more loss for the some layers.

Kodachrome 64 might last about as long as Tri-X, though.

But yes, use fresh or old black and white film, not old color film.

Kodachrome won't last anywhere near as long as TriX.....Kodachrome doesnt even last as long as the last Ektachrome.