Kodachrome Developing

<p>Hi all,<br>

Does anyone know of a lab I can send my kodachrome rolls to for development? The place I usually get my film developed only knows of a lab in Kansas to send it to and it will cost $25. I appreciate any tips y'all have.</p>

<p>Thanks,<br>

Ryan</p>

<p>Go to Wal-Mart (present almost everywhere in the USA), go to the photo section, ignore the clerks, grab a film processing envelope. Fill out your name, address, and then in the bottom tick off the "special instructions" box.<br>

Then write in the special instructions box "KODACHROME K-14".<br>

Wait 10-14 days, and pay $6.88 + Tax.<br>

Enjoy!</p>

<p>PS. All Kodachrome processing on planet Earth is done by Dwayne's, in Kansas. Wal-mart has arrangements with Fuji labs to do the send-out color negs, and E6 chromes. If Fuji realizes that the film is Kodachrome, then it forwards the envelope to Dwayne's. The slides come back in a nice box, all fully mounted in cardboard.</p>

<p>I forgot to mention that Wal-mart's film envelopes also will get your 120 size film developed in a couple of days (for negs). I've even had them make 3x3" or 4x6 prints from the film.<br>

Cost is a princely $1.88 (One dollar and eighty-eight cents) for negatives.<br>

For 120 E6, the cost is similar to the 35mm slide film price.</p>

<p>As Vincent points out, it's cheaper to process Kodachrome through Wal-mart than to send it to Dwayne's directly. However, via Wal-mart, you will get only mounted slides back. If you want an unmounted strip, then you need to mail to Dwayne's directly.</p>

<p>Dwayne's Photo is the last place on this earth that will process it for you. Their website is Dwaynesphoto.com. They offer processing for $9.00 per roll. If you have never shot any, I highly, highly reccomend it!!! You may also want to check out the Kodachrome projcect if you are going to shoot some. <a href="http://kodachromeproject.com/pages/contents.html">http://kodachromeproject.com/pages/contents.html</a> You can also find some great forums where you can learn anything you will ever need to know about Kodachrome <a href="http://www.kodachromeproject.com/forum/index.php">http://www.kodachromeproject.com/forum/index.php</a> Good Luck and have lots of fun! You can also send your film out through Wal Mart no problem. Just fill out a send out envolope and write Kodachrome Slides Process K-14 and pick it up in a week. You will save a few $ that way.</p>

<p>Josh,<br>

Wal-mart has one of the most advanced logistical infrastructures in the world. That's one of the reasons why they are so phenomenally successful. They have not screwed up any of the films I have sent in this way. If you send it to Dwayne's directly, you have the US Postal system to depend upon, and you have to pay $4 shipping on top of the development fee.</p>

<p>Dwayne's did cut through a frame once (it was #37 in a roll). They sent a letter of apology and even gave me the processing for free. That's service!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The problem with sending only 1roll direct to dwayne's is that its like 9bucks for processing, then 4bucks for shipping or something.... then .25 a roll after that. Walmart is $4.5 a roll, or was a month ago, so thats where i go and let them forward it. I recommend putting a postit on the film canister that also says "process K14" so that it does not get processed at walmart by accident. (fairly certain most still offer onsite processing).<br>

Its really not that big of a deal, just fill out the mailer and note to process K14, drop in the slot, say a prayer, and then pick it up when they give you a call a little over a week later (i usually start calling after 10days anyway though). The film is one of a kind and everyone should shoot at least one roll of the stuff.<br>

Also, i believe all fuji processing is done by dwayne's now too, mailers, walmart, etc all go to dwayne's.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Wal-mart has one of the most advanced logistical infrastructures in the world.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>They also don't pay people enough to care about their jobs. For $7 an hour, it's not like you are going to get someone who is going to be busting their ass to make sure that a Kodachrome roll doesn't make it's way into the C-41 machine.</p>

<p>If you haven't had any problems, good for you. Your luck is better than mine in life it would seem. But I prefer to put my trust into something more reliable than my local wal-mart photo employees. I'm sure they are good people, but as I've never seen the same people stick around more than 6 months, I'm not sure I'd call them good photo lab people.</p>

Much as I hate mall*wart I have dropped off kodachrome there; I have had some luck getting them back unmounted (they come rolled in a piece of cardboard tube); but one time they came back mounted - I don't think mall wart has anything to do with anything, except for sending the film drop off bin to wherever, so I'd assume that the chance of getting, say, mistakenly mounted slides when you requested uncut is about the same.

Much as I dislike mall wart and it's horrific race to the bottom (but of course the people who shop there, myself included in tthe case of kodachrome developing, are an equal reason the place exists), I don't think the people working there are less intelligent, in general, to the people driving the mail trucks away with the film or maybe even the people at Dwayne's doing the processing.

For me the main reason I have dropped off batches of Kodachrome at m*w is because I live in Alaska and cannot trust the USPS not to smash, dunk, or rip open my mail. The larger packages, different methods, or whatever m*w uses seem to be safer, for me. Of this empirical truth I have more than enough experience and would certainly not trust the USPS with my kodachrome, at least from Fairbanks to the lower 48 (my theory is that it's because of low bid carriers from Federal Way to Alaska; maybe they use dumptrucks and bulldozers - you'd have to live here to believe it). I can say that of the 100 or so rolls of kodachrome I've sent off via m*w all have arrived safely back and of any problems (mounting when asked not), it was only on Dwayne's end.

Weird, but I've also found the people working at m*w to be friendlier and easier to deal with than other big stores. Of course about everything in the store as well as the environment of the place (and size!) disgusts me, but I'll

<p>Walmart, and dont worry about it. The employees dont even touch it - its all you - you fill out the send out film envelope, and drop it in the box. Then, magically, it returns a week later, beautifully processed and mounted;). 5 years on, and no problems. Either way, its done by Dwaynes, so the question becomes, do you really want to pay for shipping, or are you willing to drive to a Walmart (and enter the store...)</p>

<p>Is there anyone on this forum from Europe and has the film that says not for sale in the USA? It includes a mailer to the old lab in Lausanne. Will they forward it to Dwayne's or am I better off sending it directly? There's also some controversy regarding the quality of scanning there. Any advice appreciated.</p>

<p><em>But I prefer to put my trust into something more reliable than my local wal-mart photo employees.</em></p>

<p>Isn't the whole point of using the drop box that <strong>Fuji </strong> employees make the decisions? I don't think a local Walmart employee touches anything until you go to the counter and ask for your developed film.</p>

<p>Josh -- it bears repeating: indeed, Walmart employees do not touch the send-out film, except to place it in the drawer when it comes back from the lab via courier. No chance of them sending it through the C-41 machine. Shoot, most Walmarts don't have a C-41 machine any more. My local WM had theirs removed several months ago.</p>

<p>I use WM for send-out -- E-6, K-14, C-41, B&W, in 120 or 135. I've had no film lost or spoiled.</p>

<p>I'm not a particular fan of theirs, but CVS doesn't offer a send-out service any more. Options are dwindling.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Is there anyone on this forum from Europe and has the film that says not for sale in the USA? It includes a mailer to the old lab in Lausanne. Will they forward it to Dwayne's or am I better off sending it directly? There's also some controversy regarding the quality of scanning there. Any advice appreciated.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I am not from Europe, but I know that you just send it to Lausanne, and it will be couriered to Dwayne's.</p>

<p>oh josh you lack faith.<br>

I get 4 of my 10 meds at walmart<br>

the $4.00/ month deal beats anything else<br>

the rest from the VA $8.00/ month and I am not dead yet.<br>

refills can be done on-line they even will ship.<br>

we were there tonight and the chek out lady , knopwing i see poorly,'<br>

followed be 150 feet back to the bread aisle to help me get something specific.<br>

I f you buy something from the website that is not available in stores, there is no shipoping. they have trucks<br>

going any and everywhere anyway.<br>

resturn policy is really no hassle. If you don't have a reciept they issue a card so you can use it like a credit card<br>

in the store. if you don't like it or it doesn't work no problem.<br>

( wedding photogs don't take advantage of this to get a temp free second body)<br>

we bought 2 vcr's that would not track properly. they sent me a $25.00 check " for my trouble"<br>

the lady at the pharmacy knows my name and date of birth ( still asks) so I can get meds.<br>

some of my wife's meds are FREE. they handle the state plan ( thru aarp) seamlessly<br>

nothing to do. it just works as if you were buying a box of dental floss or anything else.</p>

<p>Bad thing: the milk is AFTER the registers but they will wait<br>

film , last place that has 110 and advantix- if you like that stuff.<br>

but no 100 speed c-41. or slide film.</p>

<p>"I am not from Europe, but I know that you just send it to Lausanne, and it will be couriered to Dwayne's"</p>

<p>True but it's a tad more complex than this : in Europe Kodachrome's retail price includes Dwayne's processing and the air fare. Sounds good? Not really since the price of one Kodachrome film is about 17€/22$...<br>

<br /><br>

<br /></p>