Kodachrome 40 Super 8 film to be developed

<p>Hello all,<br>

I have a problem that I was hoping someone could help me with?<br>

Recently my colleagues shot 4 x rolls of <strong>Kodachrome 40 (Type A) Super 8 movie film</strong>. When we tried to develop them, we realized it's now extremely hard to find commercial places to process them as a certain chemical used to develop them no longer exists. <br>

I was just wondering if anyone knows of a place, either a business or private lab who could process these films for us? I've also been told we can develop them as a B/W film? If this is true we wouldn't mind doing this if it's easier.<br>

We're based in London, UK but we'll be happy to ship them internationally, anything to get them developed!<br>

Please let me know if you can help me!<br>

Thank you so much,<br>

Claire </p>

<p>Kodak and labs processing Kodachrome (as a color process) ceased producing and/or ran out of chemicals a couple of years ago. John's comment is about as good as it gets. I wouldn't expect particularly good results, as removing the chemical REM backing from the emulsion is purportedly a difficult process.</p>

<p>Sorry to hear about this. Don't know how long you had the Kodachrome stock in hand before you used it but there are lots of people selling it who don't warn buyers that processing is no longer available. Worse yet, they are getting ridiculouos prices for cartridges that are essentially worthless at this point. The film itself hasn't been made in several years (maybe the mid-late 1990s?). Hopefully B&W will work for your friend's project.</p>

<p>ssince all kodachrome (type) films are multi layer B&W films B&W developing to a negative is possible.<br /><br /> several problems are ahead.<br /><br />there is a rem-jet backing that must be removed and can cauise little flecks of " stuff" on the film<br /><br />the film liky is old and could be fogged.<br /><br />You will likely have it converted electronicaly<br />to a positive.<br />It may be better to forget the whole thing.<br /><br /><br /><br>

( edited enlarged in note pad)</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>If the film is relatively new (2000 or later expiry), and was stored frozen the entire time before shooting, you can send an email to Martin Baumgarten in the USA. He can process Kodachrome into a black-and-white positive that can be projected. His email address is super*8*mm*@*aol.com (just take out the stars). </p>

• 4 months later...

<p>Hi all,<br>

I also have the same problem. I have hundreds of unprocessed Kodachrome 40 type A super 8mm cartridges that I want to now get developed into color. I have literally scoured the globe in search of a lab which can process them but without any luck so far. Does anyone have any details for contacting Kodak regarding the chemicals needed? I am willing to cover the cost of the minimum order for them to reproduce the necessary chemicals and gear to process Kodachrome 40, then find a lab in the US or Europe with previous processing experience to actually do it. <br>

Let me know your thoughts - thanks, Simon</p>

• 1 year later...

<p>You can have the k40 processed by the nice fellas at<strong> <a href="http://www.filmrescue.com/">http://www.filmrescue.com/</a></strong> in saskatchewan. They will run it as black and white film. It's one of the only options left available for k40 (kodachrome 40). You can then send it over to us for a high res film to digital transfer. Nothing compares to our new lasergraphic 5k scanstation scanner for quality.</p>

<p>Results can vary, so you never know what you're going to get. I've had some come out quite low contrast and tinted purple. Kind of a cool effect. We scanned it at our studio <a href="http://www.framediscreet.com"><strong>www.framediscreet.com</strong></a> and with our restoration tools, were able to dig into image and get more contrast and punch out of it.</p>

<p>Any scans you need done or restoration, we'd be glad to help. Our studio was created by a group of cinematographers who just love film.</p>

<p>Contact me via the contact page on our site.<br>

<strong><br /></strong>Justin Lovell<br>

Assoc. CSC Cinematographer<br>

<strong><a href="http://www.framediscreet.com">www.framediscreet.com</a></strong></p>

<p>Hi. Many years ago I was processing my own Super8 B&W reversal (Plus X, Tri X etc..) and first I tested my process tank with a strip of Kodachrome 40, went out as positive B&W, very soft tones as I remember (but this was 35 years ago...). I was using Kodak chemistry for reversal B&W... If someone is interested I still have five K40 sealed cartridges kept frozen in my freezer since 1985. I shooted one of this batch in 92, came out with slightly faded colors. I will probably put the five left at auction on eBay. Good luck and happy new year! Jean</p>