Kit lens with IS?

Trigger_Happy

<p>I'm finding that I'm using my Canon EOS 70D more and more for video as well. I like the quality it gives me and the control that the lenses provide. I'm considering photography to be my main interest. The video is mainly of family and kids.<br>

I have a lot of ok glass since I have been interested in photography since back in the film days. I'm about to go for a full frame body and as I do I'm saving up to the Canon 24-70 2.8 L II. But it has no IS.<br>

I'm considering getting one of the lower end kit lenses to use for video only. Is that a bad idea? Or should I get the 24-105mm f4 L IS instead? <br>

I don't know how a kit lens with IS compared to a better lens without IS would compare for video. Any advice?</p>

<p>I think it depends on how you typically shoot video. </p>

<p>IS won't make much of a difference on a fixed rig mounted on a tripod; and it's also a terrible solution to handheld-shake which is better addressed with a handheld cage that's available for under $100, or a shoulder rig. </p>

<p>There's also not much point in shooting video with a wide-open aperture if you can't control focus dynamically while handheld. </p>

<p>DSLR video is a wonderful solution if you're after the cinematic look, shoot in short segments and do a lot in post production, but for longer duration shoots, unless you're on a fixed tripod, DSLRs will be more of a headache than a asset. </p>

<p>That said, I think final video "quality" is often more dependent on shooting style, processing and rendering than the choice of lens - you can also use software shake-reduction if you develop sufficient technique to minimize shake initially and make your clips as smooth as possible without IS. </p>

<p> </p>