Kirk Enterprises FB-8 Butterfly Flash bracket

hjoseph7

Last year I bought a "butterfly" flash bracket from Kirk enterprises. http://www.kirkphoto.com/brackets.html#kcbracket as

an aid to illuminating close-ups in the field.

John Shaw recomended using one these brackets in his book "The Nature Photographer's Complete Guide to

Professional Field Techniques". Actually the FB8 flash bracket is a replica of the home-made butterfly flash bracket that

John Shaw uses in the field to take close ups of plants and small animals.

Combined with a small flash or with an automatic flash with variable flash output, this bracket is amazing. Unlike other

flash brackets, you have an almost infinite array of positions to place your flash. John Shaw recomends placing the flash

about 12" directly above the lens for a direct burst of flash. Unlike people pictures harsh flash light is actually pleasing on

small creatures bringing out all the details that you want to see in a picture. With this flash bracket you can move the flash

above and to the side to simulate sunlight. Shoot directly from the side, or even from the bottom.

I combined the FB8 bracket with a small Nikon (discontinued) SB-15 flash which I bougth from eBay. The thing I like about

this flash is that it is small and portable, it has a low GN, it has TTL and has swivel head that can be turned from 30 to 90

degrees giving you even more flexibility. Perfect for close up photography.

Unfortunately, you can only attach one of these brackets to a camera at a time. If you could attach 2 brackets, you could

have yourself a pretty nice close-up system for interior work too !

I called Kirk enterprises a few days ago and asked them if there was a way to attach two of these brackets to a

tripod/camera. They told me they did not make anything like that and they no longer took special orders because they are

now outsoucing their work to keep up with the orders.

Oh well, maybe I can attach another FB8 to a secondary tripod like a "slik FBH100 miniature tripod" which I have, thereby

providing even lighting for close-up copy work inside. I took a chance and ordered another FB8 bracket today. I'll have to

see how the whole thing works when it gets here.

I use the Wimberley version of the macro flash bracket (M4)

http://www.tripodhead.com/products/flash-bracket-individual-modules.cfm

It, too is extremely flexible. However, Wimberley design it to be used with their QR plates, and that would mean a new tripod head, etc...

Once I had the bracket, though, it was easy enough to design and build an adaptor for my camera - you may be able to do likewise!

• 2 weeks later...