Kirk "Big L" Quick-Release Plate, RRS Lever Action Quick Release Clamps?

david_h._hartman

Is anyone at this forum using the <a

href="http://www.kirkphoto.com/lbracketso.html#bigLqr"

target="_new"><u>Kirk Enterprises "Big L" Quick-Release

Plate</u></a> for any of the following or similar cameras?</p>

<table border="1" cellpadding="2">

<tr>

<td width="7%"><strong>Qty</strong></td>

<td width="48%"><strong>Description</strong></td>

<td width="15%"><strong>Model</strong></td>

<td align="right" width="15%"><strong>Price</strong></td>

<td align="right" width="15%"><strong>Amount</strong></td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td width="7%">1</td>

<td width="48%">"Big L" quick-release plate</td>

<td width="15%">BL-1</td>

<td align="right" width="15%">109.00</td>

<td align="right" width="15%">109.00</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td width="7%">2</td>

<td width="48%">Plate for FM3a/FM2n/FE2 w/ MD-12 </td>

<td width="15%">PZ-20</td>

<td align="right" width="15%">55.00</td>

<td align="right" width="15%">110.00</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td width="7%">1</td>

<td width="48%">Plate for Nikon F3 with MD-4 </td>

<td width="15%">PZ-21</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td width="7%">1</td>

<td width="48%">Plate for Nikon F5</td>

<td width="15%">PZ-6</td>

<td align="right" width="15%">60.00</td>

<td align="right" width="15%">60.00</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td width="7%"> </td>

<td width="48%">Grand Total</td>

<td width="15%"> </td>

<td align="right" width="15%"> </td>

<td align="right" width="15%">$334.00</td>

</tr>

</table>

<p>Any thoughts on this setup? or others?</p>

<p>I've finally bought into the Arca-Swiss style mounting system.

The prices are killing me!</p>

<p>So far I have two Wimberley C-10 clamps and seven Wimberley

lens plates. A Really Right Stuff Multi-Camera L-Plate and Kirk

Enterprises FB-9 and FB-10 Macro Flash Brackets.<br>

<br>

Also is anyone using the <a

href="http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/clamps_and_knobs/index.html"

target="_new"><u>Really Right Stuff, Lever Action Quick Release

Clamps, Model B2-Pro LR or LLR</u></a>?<br>

<br>

I'm looking for user observations, satisfaction, tips, etc.<br>

<br>

Why don't these people offer <strong>Zero Percent Financing</strong>

and <strong>Cash Back?</strong><br>

<br>

---<br>

<br>

I can't afford film! Fortunately the ice box is pretty well

stocked. ;) This stuff is so nice I'm glad I didn't count the

full cost when I started out.<br>

<br>

Thanks!<br>

<br>

Dave Hartman.

I use an RRS dedicated "L" plate for an F5 and a D1x. You will notice that the Kirk "BIG L" must be removed before changing the batteries on an F5. Bummer! I use an RRS universal L plate, which has an Arca-style clamp, for an F3 and other cameras. The "BIG L" looks like a screw attachment.

The lever-operated RRS clamp is the best thing since sliced bread. Half-open, the plate slides in from the side. Full-open, and the plate drops in from the top. There's no more guessing how far to unscrew the clamp, or whether the plate is fully engaged before tightening the clamp.

I can't complain about the prices. It's pretty reasonable for fully-machined surfaces that fit, vs. bulky, cast aluminum plates that don't keep the camera from turning, and must be removed to bag the camera. The A/S mounting system works! The most expensive item you can buy is one that doesn't do the job.

There is a guy on eBay who makes RRS compatible clamps/plates of very high quality in his basement. His username is "newtechmachine" The silly forum rules won't allow me to post the link to eBay, but just do a search for his name. If you can't find it, email me and I will send you the link.

His store is empty at the moment, but look through his feedback. He makes/sells 3" Clamps which fit all the RRS plates, and they are at a fraction of the cost. I have two of his clamps, $30 each, and they are very nice! He also charges about $20 for the plates.

I bought an F4s plate and the Big L bracket for use with my F4s (obviously). Of course, not long after I bought that they came out with the custom F4s bracket. I have a feeling I will be buying the F4s custom bracket in the future. After owning Kirk custom brackets for my F100 with and without the MB-15, it's really a nice way to go. But if they don't make a custom bracket for what you have, the L and/or Big L work fine.

I know the prices are high for this stuff, but once you own it you can never go back. It is so well made, and you're happy everytime it's used.

I use the Really Right Stuff B2-Pro LLR on my Arca-Swiss B1. I love this product, especially the extra 20mm length on the LLR model. Also, this clamp is absolutely the quickest way to mount a camera on a tripod. The lever is much quicker and easier than the knob on most Arca-Swiss type clamps. My Wisner 4x5 Expedition camera is flat on the bottom, and the knob was difficult to tighten because of the lack of room between the knob and the flat bottom of the camera. The LLR eliminates this problem. In addition, another feature I like about the LLR is that you can open the clamp just slightly (defined by a clear stop position), which requires that you insert the camera/lens from the end of the clamp; or you can open the clamp fully which allows you to slip the camera/lens in from the side, which can be beneficial with certain camera and lens combinations, in addition to being a little easier and faster.

For too many years I wasted (way too much) money on cheap tripods and heads. Last year I finally bit the bullet and purchased what I consider a perfect support system: Gitzo 1325 carbon fiber tripod; Gitzo 1321 Leveling Base; Arca-Swiss B1 ballhead; Really Right Stuff B2-Pro LLR clamp; RRS L-plates for both my Nikon bodies (F100, D100); RRS plate for my view camera; RRS plates for my Nikon lenses.

All told, this support system (and that's what it is--a system) set me back a little over $1900 (ouch!!). That was really tough, but was it worth it? Yes, it was; without question. These products are all extremely well made, and are an absolute pleasure to use. Photography has been a serious hobby for me for over thirty years, and I consider this to be among the best money I have ever spent in photography. My only regret is that I didn't do it sooner, after having wasted too much time and money on shoddy equipment. I expect that this system will last me for the remainder of my photographing life.

(I hope that didn't sound too much like a sales pitch. I am not in any way affiliated with any of the products mentioned; just a big fan of all of them.)

Thanks for all the responses:

I�m going to save a copy to reread when the wallet gets fat. Vishal, I�m going to check out the "newtechmachine" guy who makes things in his home shop. There are sometimes things I want that on one makes.

I would like a RRS B2-Pro LLR clamp for use as part of a Perpendicular Plate (should have asked Lex). I�m working on a Bogen 3130 fluid head right now (as well as a Linhof and Sinar 2-way pan tilt head). I�m really quite pleased with the fluid head for macro and landscape. Someday I�ll get a top quality ball head for action and wildlife.

For now I find the Nikon AH-2 tripod adapter does a good job for mounting MD-12 to the RRS MC-L plate though the camera has to be used upside down for verticals. I ordered another AH-2 tripod adapter for $25.00, more within my budget. I hope the AH-2 works OK with the MD-4 as a stop gap.

In several months I hope I can pickup the RRS B2-Pro LLR clamp and another MC-L plate. For somethings like macro I find the fine control of the Wimberley C-10 with knob quite useful. I do not find it helpful when flipping the camera from horizontal to vertical and the knob bumps my chin when a camera without a motor is used. This was not a surprise, I saw it coming. The RRS clamp would be a great help on the perpendicular plate.

Thanks again!

Regards,

Dave Hartman.

I notice that Wimberley has a perpendicular plate but it does not have provision for mounting my Kirk macro flash arms which their telephoto plates do. I�ve also noticed RRS B150 Geared Focusing Rail and unfortunately it�s price.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...
<p>I bought the RRS lever release on the basis of good reviews, but unfortunately they didn't stress the importance of the RRS lack of Arca Swiss compatibility. RRS says you need RRS or Wimberley plates, but a Kirk plate I bought along with their macro focusing rail work just fine, but the Novoflex Castel-Q doesn't, so it's a real guessing game. I just ordered the Kirk QR for my Arca Swiss Z1 and will sell the RRS lever. Never buy from RRS again.</p>

• 9 months later...

<p>I have used Really Right Stuff plates, L Brackets, platforms, even the BH-55 ballhead. The one flawed item that I bought was the Quick Release clamp. I bought it to go on another tripod head, and I wish I would have kept the old clamp. My son got married in Mexico, we live in Alaska, and I carried this head/clamp setup on a carbon fiber gitzo to shoot the wedding. When I went to use it, the whole clamp lever assembly had come apart. The head was useless. I always use a tripod, even in this lens stabilization age. I got through the shoot and figured I would deal with the defective clamp with Really Right Stuff. I contacted them when I got back to Alaska, and they could not find any record of my purchase. It was only less than 3 years old and had rarely been used, pristine. Of course I couldn't find my receipt, so basically, the cost of the clamp, a B2 Pro LR became worthless since RRS would do nothing. It would be stupid to get mad and not use their gear, but I won't recommend them or the service or purchase any more items. Bryan, the original owner could be hard to deal with, but he would have made good on this. I talked to 3 individuals to no avail.<br>

W Johnson</p>