kinoptik 100/2 vs Leica 100/2.8 marco

globeplex

a friend told me that the kinoptik 100/2 is far better than the

leica 100/2.8. so how good is the lens? is there any information

about the kinoptik 100/2? is kinoptik superior than leica in a

general view? how much is the kinoptik 100/2 lens suppose to? thanks.

The Kinoptik is a fantastic lens. I had one in Alpa mount and still regret that I sold it. While I was enthusiastic about the sharpness and color rendition of the Kinoptik, I am not very impressed by the Leica 2.8/100. I think there are better Leica lenses, e.g. the 2.8/60 macro.<br>

You can find a picture of the Kinoptik on <a href="http://www.alpareflex.com/Lenses/Kinoptik_100mm.htm">alpareflex.com</a>. If you find one - the Kinoptik -is negotiated somewhere between $1500 and $3000.

I saw one on sale currently on <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=707&item=3871610516&rd=1">ebay</a> and you would have to have a custom mount made to use it on a Leica.

You were not impressed by the 2.8/100 APO? To this day it's one of the sharpest lenses

Leica makes and is regarded as a benchmark design. I used to rent one for certain jobs

and with finegrain film the results are quite stunning.

feli

The Kinoptic is an old lens coveted by collectors. The Leica 100/2.8 Apo-Macro-Elmarit-R is a modern classic, it's the standard by which all other lenses with similar specs are judged. Even Pop Photo (which is usually pretty unfavorable to Leica) says its the best. Other manufacturers make cheaper lenses, but I haven't heard of anyone who makes one better.

Feli, Peter, Eliot,

I meant the 100 Macro Elmar. And I just realize it is 4/100 not 2.8/100. I have never used the Apo-Macro-Elmarit-R so I have no opinion on it.

Nevertheless, the Kinoptik is still a fantastic lens - extremely sharp over the whole field, beautiful color rendition and bokeh. It is a pity it ends up with collectors rather than users.

You can obtain a 100 f/2 Kinoptik that will fit a Leica SLR from Karl Heitz. It comes with a manuel aperature. I have seen results from this lens that were outstanding in terms of sharpness. That said, a friend of mine has one that he uses on his Alpa. For some reason the coating used on the lens leaves it prone to flaring. He says he has to have the lens hood on at all times.

I own both the Leica Apo 100/2.8 and the Kinoptik Apo 100/2.0. My Kinoptik is also the macro focusing version, but optically this lens is the same as the regular one. I bought my Kinoptik from Karl Heitz in NY with an Alpa mount, but I have since sent it to Kinoptik in France to remove the Alpa mount and install the T mount, as I would like to use it on both Alpa and Leica.

I was also very interested to compare the Leica and the Kinoptik. Many people say the Kinoptik is the best 100mm ever made, and I would like to test if this is a myth. Can a 1960 design match a modern Leica lens?

I did start to do some test shots, but the photos taken with the Kinoptik were not well exposed. I used a regular T2 mount on a Leica R9, and this did not work as it should. I do not know why. I have since bought a Leica T2 adapter (originally made for the Televid) and this is equipped with more cams and I will find out if it enables better exposures.

I can come back later with the results when I have them.

Incidentally, if anyone wants to buy a Kinoptik, I have seen the strange thing that used lenses cost more than new ones. Probably people do not know that Kinoptik is still in business and take orders, but they are nevertheless more expensive than Leica. I have been in contact with the technical director of Kinoptik, Mr Prudhomme, several times and he is always very service minded.

Hi,

No Idea of Leica.

When my child born, I use Contax G 90mm, then shift to an old Kinoptik 100.

My conclusion is :

Typical French style of many French brand. Bueatiful soft background.

Sharp, Good shadow, Smooth skin tone but hard, Attactive elegant bright colour, Improve craggy face.

Sample :

http://www.photo.net/photo/2002265

Hope it help.

• 10 years later...
<p>It's a bit late to reply on this thread (10 yrs!). There is no way that Kinoptik 100/2 will beat the Leica. Kinoptik 100 is just a plain 6/4 double-gauss design without aspherics, floating element or anything that can further improve this widely used optical formula. You can almost assure the image curvature, astigmatism...etc toward the edge as many other similar design would normally encounter.</p>