Kine Exakta - Internals Bared

Discussion in 'Classic Manual Cameras' started by peter_naylor|1, Dec 25, 2012.

1. There's a unique Kine Exakta up for sale on Ebay US by a Moscow dealer at the moment Here:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cutaway-cam...841785381?pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item2572eae025
    What makes it memorable is that it has several parts in 'cutaway' mode, giving a unique opportunity to see just how an early Exakta worked, and therefore of course just how complex it was. Even better is that the seller has provided several excellent photographs, taken from all sorts of angles. So if you're an Exakta fan, please have a long look at something that may never be sighted again. I hasten to add that I have nothing to do with the seller and I'm not spruiking bids on his behalf, but this is such a rare item I thought I should bring it to your attention, just for the photographs if nothing else! (Pete In A Stinking Hot Perth)

2. So, I guess it's not a "user!" :D

3. Wow, and he has had two offers, go figure...

4. I wonder if you added the $47.99 warranty offered, if he would put it back together?

5. Interesting, but probably not worth anything. It looks like the camera was heavily used before being cut away, so likely not an official company cutaway. Strange that they painted it black though.

6. I think the model was meant to promote sales as a display item, or as a Corporate publicity Gift item. It is difficult to learn the mechanism from this cut-away model. I have dis-assembled a few, CLAed them, made new shutter curtains and even fashioned new springs from available junk to make them work. They work beautifully. But they are not that easy. These Exaktas require a lot of attention to detail, alignment and tuning, each sample with its own peculiarities. The work demanded is from the user, much like tuning a car, a BMW from the 1930s and 40s with a Weber Corburettor! sp.

7. What a waste; a real factory demonstrator might have been of interest to a collector, but this camera has just been destroyed. Why couldn't the Russian seller have just turned it into a phony Luftwaffe model?

8. Thanks for the link Pete, really interesting...but I think that it may just have melted in that Perth heat!

9. Interesting, thanks for posting. This reminds me somewhat of a steam locomotive which is sliced open and put on display at the National Railway Museum, York, UK. It's here:
    http://www.nrm.org.uk/OurCollection/LocomotivesAndRollingStock/CollectionItem.aspx?objid=1975-7021
    Informative, but I find it somehow slightly obscene to see a once great machine cut open for display purposes.

10. I was at the museum in 1992. At the time I was trying to squeeze everything in with a 21mm lens. If I ever get back there I would like to spend a few days.

11. John Seaman, it happened somewhat frequently to locomotives in the era when steam was phased out and a lot of engines were too worn out to seem like it'd be worth it to overhaul them. At least it wasn't a very old loco, in Japan one of the very first locomotives brought to the island (in the 1870s) was sectioned in the 1950s: http://homepage3.nifty.com/EF57/beginning/firstmodel2.htm#110 In hindsight it seems like an obviously bad idea.
    I have a feeling that when this Exakta was sectioned it was probably just a case of old enough to be worthless, but still contemporary enough to be interesting.

12. I have noticed that many if not all cutaway cameras come from Russia.

13. I have noticed that many if not all cutaway cameras come from Russia.

14. Interesting comments, guys! I'm now starting to think along with some of your views, that this is NOT a late 1930s Ihagee official demonstration 'cutaway' model. There are too many indications of useage, for that. It's also interesting to note that it's an 'Exacta', not the more common 'Exakta'. AFAIK, the 'Exacta' version was only sold on the North American market, so presumably it was bought as a non-goer by a Russian 'camera doctor'. Maybe he intended to repair it, but found it was beyond economic repair so decided to go to Plan B and do some 'open surgery' on it. So I don't think we should be over-critical that a nice working piece of history has been ruined for ever. I reckon what Dr. Ivan has done is a fine job, of making a non-goer example of one of the most complex 35mm SLRs ever made, that much more visible to us all thanks to those fine photographs.
    It's quite timely for me as some of you will have seen in my earlier post, that I'd recently acquired a so-called non-goer Kine Exakta of similar vintage which turned out to be OK, other than needing a new mirror (since done). So I can now consult Dr Ivan's photos to see just how Ihagee got their mechanical marvel to whirr, cliick and clunk so well. (Pete, Still Steaming In Perth)

15. Not too many years ago I got an Exacta (also with a "C") in poor operating condition with a bad mirror, that looked pretty nice. I think the cutaway job is pretty cool, and I don't think it has seriously diminished the supply of useable Exactas or Exaktas for people who need them.

16. The same seller offered a sectioned Russian rangefinder camera. Both jobs appear to have been done with something like a Dremel tool by a shaky worker. It's another way to squeeze more money out of a cheap camera.

17. Well, I just checked out the Ebay auction link and found that Dr Ivan's cutaway Kine went for almost $380. So I think he'd have been quite happy with that amount, assuming that it was a non-goer when he acquired it. I only paid $60 for the one I acquired back in December, so assuming that's some sort of bench mark amount for a dead Kine, Dr. I has done pretty well. PN
    PS - of course, mine is now working perfectly, but that's another story ...