There have been lots of posts about Kiev backs. I know to check

kievaholics.com. But what I want to know is: has anyone actually

tried to use either style, esp the old style, kiev 88 back on a

hasselblad? i was looking at the backs, in asmany pictures as i

could fine, and as far as I could see, it seemed possible to use

either of the backs (esp the old style) on a 500C. IF anyone ahs

tried this, ro knows for sure if this is possible, please let me

know. Thanks!

Sorry to disappoint you. It is not possible to even mount an unmodified Kiev back on a Hasselblad. The lip on the back of the Hasselblad is just a bit too wide to fit through the opening of the Kiev film back.

You can put a Hasselblad back on a Kiev and actually take a picture that way, but due to apparent gearing differences, the film back gets cocked for the next shot before the Kiev body finishes winding its shutter.

Hi, Evan.

Sorry. I bought my 88CM from Mike in April of 2001. I don't know about his new 88CM bodies. But there are a number of people on the Kiev Report that have Hasselblad film back compatible Kiev bodies and I don't think they've reported any problems.

I use a couple NT Kiev backs on my 500C, and it works fine. The only thing is you have to go to town on it with a Dremel because of the lip Kevin mentions.

One back I dremeled, the other was already modified to fit on 'Blads (the plate is cast to fit, much cleaner than my Dremel job).

I haven't tried the older versions.

Evan.

In reply to your question about the Hasselblad capable Kiev CM (sometimes called a Hartblei 1688). Yes - I have one. I have a Hasselblad A24 back and normal Kiev NT backs for it and the they all work OK. I have no idea what modification is made to the camera body to allow a genuine Hasselblad back to work with it.

Regards, Ross

• 7 years later...

<p>I've been using the Kiev 88cm and Hassy for several years now. Here is what I have modified. On the Kiev88 back I remove the plate and increase the opening to fit the raised indent on the Hassy. It is roughly 1mm. Your can use a vise and clamp (with wood either side) and remove the aluminum (after scribing a mark on the back side), with a flat file. Takes a grand total of 20 minutes to complete. The plates won't interchange because of the screw holes. If you want to use a Hassy back on the Kiev, not modifications.<br>

Results; Hassy back Kiev camera = frame mark of 2 1/9 inches. Standard = 2 3/8". Very little overlap.No frame marking.<br>

Kiev back on Hassy camera = wider spacing between exposures.<br>

If you are handy with tools and have the patience then DIY.<br>

I don't encourage just anyone to try it. Only if you are brave.</p>