Kiev 88 Vs. Kiev 60

david_matuszek

Hello every one, I am thinking about getting one of those Russian

medium format cameras, and would like some advice. In your opinion

what is more usable, the Kiev 88 or 60. The Kiev 60 has that SLR

feel to it, and seems like it has fewer moving parts, while the Kiev

88 has that cool Hasselblad look. Just looking for some hints from

all of you as to why you'd pick one over the other.

Hi David �

I�ll give you answer you weren�t looking for, C) none of the above. Some people seem to have great luck (and good pictures) with these cameras. I was not one of them, and I was not the only one. Some of the lenses are pretty good, but the bodies are problematic, at best. Search the archives here for more opinions and experience.

If you still want to take the plunge, get one of the remanufactured cameras. They�re literally stripped and rebuilt. The 60 is probably a better risk just because it is simpler (no removable back).

I�m not saying that no one ever has a good experience, but understand that you�re taking a chance. There�s so much good reliable used stuff out there right now, so why risk it?

I've been VERY happy with the Arax 60 I got a few months ago. Arax is

probably the best of the re-builders AND their cameras don't have that ugly

"KNEB" nameplate :-). If you don't need interchangable backs, the 60 is

considered to be a stronger and more reliable camera than the 88 and,

personally, I prefer the "big 35 mm" type of MF camera. However Arax 88s are

also reputed to be very good. There are various types of Arax 88 models--only

one 60--their website does a good job of explaining them.

http://araxfoto.com/

If you decide on an 88, make sure you get one with the Pentacon Six/Kiev 60

type breech lock mount, rather than the original Hasselblad 1600 type screw-

mount, so you can use Zeiss Jena and Schneider lenses in addition to the

Ukrainian ones. The real attraction of these cameras is the extremely wide

variety of lenses available at bargain prices--at least for the Zeiss Jena and

Ukrainian lenses--Schneider lenses (made for the Exakta 66) are very

expensive.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had a kiev 88cm for 1 year and a half. I shot approx. 100 rolls throught it. No problem whatsoever. It does not have a fit and finish as blad, but it works. The advantage with the kiev MF systems is to have a huge selection of lenses to choose from at extremely low prices. I spent over $2500.00 on the lenses. So far I have not encountered a doggie lens. For other used MF systems, you may end up with three lens at MAX. What you need is to buy rebuilt cameras from reputable dealers such as kievcamera or arax. And read instructions carefully before even touching the cameras. A lot of problems come from the misuse of kiev cameras becasue they do not have anti-error measures.

Richard

I agree fully with Richard.

Do NOT even touch the camera until you read the instructions fully!

Simply changing the shutter speed could destroy the camera if the shutter happens not to be cocked! Simple to mess up!

I have made roll after roll of great images with these cameras. I have a great 88 body that has never given me any problems. Beware of used Ebay specials with bodies. Someone may be getting rid of their problem on you. Go with a good dealer like Kiev camera in Atlanta.

Once you get a good one you will love the images you can produce.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

John,

the deal on Kievs are the lenses and accessoires... this is different with your Hasselblad - how many non-pro users are stuck with the normal lens, the WLF and one or two magazines? For the price of one or two leaf-shutter lenses for the Hasselblad you can get a whole lens set ranging from 30mm to 1000mm. You gain access to a wide set of special lenses like the 30mm Zodiak/Arsat or the 55mm Arsat PCS lens, both which I own and use for 6 years by now...

I know how to treat my Kiev, how to handle and care it and thus I am gifted by her with very decent results.

David, as a beginner to the Kiev stuff I´d recommend a Kiev60 or 6S/6C - get away from the look of the Kiev88, it´s not the look that makes the pictures, it´s you, the lens, the film. The 88 is more complicated and thus more prone to problems than a plain 60, the 60 is cheaper. Get one, see if you like it and step up to a K88CM when you learned the tricks.

Most of the users don´t need the magazines. The magazine system is quite tricky in construction and one of the trouble spot. I do need it... otherwise I´d go with "SLR on steroids". ;-)

Well, I like my 88Six which I bought from Wiese in Hamburg. Decent beast.

Please keep us posted on how you decided and what you did end up with.

Roman

• 3 months later...
David, I have both systems. It depends on what you want to do. If you primarily use only one type of film go with the Kiev 60. If you want the flexibliity of changing from 120 to 220 film, of shooting 645 or 6X6 and switching between B&W, color negative and color slide and all the variations therein, get the Kiev 88CM. Regardless of which system you settle on, get a new one from a reputable dealer like Mike Fourman at Kievcamera in Atlanta (Hartblei) or ARAX. DO NOT buy a used one unless you are competent at repairing your own equipment, have the patience of Job and a source for parts in Russia. Used junk from the Former USSR is the reason these cameras have gotten bad raps from some users who thought they were getting over cheap on Ebay when they were just being had. The new Kiev 88CM will accept lenses with the P6 mount which will give you a wide selection of inexpensive lenses. (Inexpensive compared to Hasselblad, Contax, Rollei or Mamiya, that is.) The old Kiev 88 only accepts screw mount lenses which are harder to find. Most of the lenses are copies of the German (Zeiss) ones. Build quality is excellent on the Hartblei or Arax models, which are reworked from stock Kievs to insure reliability. You can even get models with Mirror Lock Up (MLU) in both systems. If you do this and take the time to learn the quirks of this particular system (non-coupled meter and having to wind the film advance crank before changing shutter speeds, for example) you will be rewarded with some great photos at a fraction of the price of a Hasselblad.

• 1 year later...