Kiev 4, Contax, and Nikon S2 lenses

teneson

<p>Hi Mark, is the Kiev a Contax RF clone? If so, all Contax lenses should fit. I think there may be some that don't, same as Contax II to IIa change?</p>

<p>http://www.fedka.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=32&products_id=52</p>

<p>That is a really nice looking machine.</p>

<p>I's been a really long time since I looked this stuff up, so my answer won't be of the greatest use. I believe the wides are compatible but wen Nikon copied the Contax mount, they used a different pitch will cause focusing errors.</p>

<p>Here is a site that explains it well.</p>

<p>http://www.fedka.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=32&products_id=52</p>

<p> </p>

<p>You are fine shooting Nikon wide-angles on your Kiev. Once you hit 50mm and above you'll have compatibility problems that increase as your focal length increases. There are complex reasons for this which I won't go into. Just believe me. Still to Contax compatible lenses. Nikon made a pile of those which had be had fairly cheaply. If you want wide-angles get those made by Cosina Voigtlander. Check out Cameraquest.</p>

<blockquote>

wen Nikon copied the Contax mount, they used a different pitch will cause focusing errors

</blockquote>

<p>

I believe it's the same pitch helical, but Nikon used the same flange registration distance as Leica (they

already made screw-mount lenses for the Leica system) rather than matching the Contax registration

distance as did the Kievs.

</p>

<p>Hi Michael; from what i've read, it's a Contax clone. The factory was "procured" during wwII, or so i've heard. Thank you for the links!<br>

Hi Alex; that is very helpful and interesting. I was thinking of getting something wider than the 50mm, since I've already got the Helios 103. The Jupiter 12 that I tried out was not to my liking. Thank you for this valuable info!<br>

Jean-Yves, that's what I thought...the Nikon mount looked very similar to the Contax mount, but perhaps not identical in some way. So the flange register is different, thank you for the info!</p>