Kenko Pro 300 1.4x, 2x and Nikkor 85/1.8 AFD or 50/1.8 AFD

frank uhlig

Quick question:

Do the Kenko Pro 300 teleconverters fit these Nikkor lenses? Or will

the back

extensions of the 85/1.8 AFD Nikkor or the 50/1.8 AFD grind into the

front of the Kenko Pro 300 1.4x or 2x teleconverters?

Please let me know if you have used these combos successfully, or if

you would warn me not to use either one of these set-ups. Thanks!

[Please excuse; this is a duplicate post. My original one on Camera

Equipment has sat there for about 24 hours without one bite.]

Frank, the Kenko pro 300 N-AFs fits the AFD85F1.8 and the AFD50mmF1.8. I have not tested the 50mm with it but the 85mm (on a D70). I do not think that the 85mm lens is really great with the converter. I think if you use the lens at its best specifications with best film or sensor you gain not too much in comparison to post-enlargement (may be usefull however with different conditions such as fast film). However if e.g. the smaller angle helps during shooting it should be useful. The same converter is quite useful with my 105DCF2 (highly recommended) and my 180mmAFF2.8 (recommended). I am optimistic about the combination with the 50mmF1.8 lens because i am willing to believe almost anything good about this lens .-P Even if the converted degrades the image quality from this lens quite a bit it would still be outstanding.

happy converting .-)

walter

second bite: I just took some quick pics with the 50mm F 1.8 AFD (plastic junky great optics one): very impressive. great resolution and sharpness very flat field. a caveat: just eyballing , no real lens test of course - but I know the 50mm lens well and know what to expect. good that you triggered me to try. mail me and I send you full frame nef or tiff in case of interest.

cheers walter - back to EM fotball :-9

Frank, the Kenko PRO-300 converters have about the same clearance as an SLR mirror itself. So they fit pretty much anything that you can mount tafely on an SLR, without having to lock the mirror up before you mount the lens. (Nikon did make some fisheye lenses that required the mirror be locked up).

That covers danger and damage. Now, on to working right. A lens has a perperty known as the "exit pupil". The Kenko converters are marched to exit pupils of 100mm or more. This means they work well with most telephotos (even 85mm telephotos) but not so well with wide angle primes or normals. They work pretty well (believe it or not) with the Sigma 8mm fisheye, or with the Nikon 17-35mm f2.8 (although I'm not sure why you want to do this).