Keeping Flash Dry...Urgent!

lucid image

<p>I am shooting a wedding tomorrow and the weather is calling for substantial rain:-( In the past I have just tolerated having my external slave flashes and trigger getting damp, but now also have radiopoppers connected and was more concerned about moisture damaging them. My question is does anyone have any suggestions on a homemade option to keep the moisture out? I was thinking that clear plastic bags just lightly taped around the units would work, but does anyone have a better suggestion. Thanks in advance:-)</p>

<p>I don't know if you they make rain sleeves for flashes, I have one for my camera body. It essentially is a clear plastic bag with a draw string on either end to tighten it up. You'll probably need to use manual mode and not rely on the autofocus assist beams though because the plastic would likely interfere with those functions.</p>

<p>In general rain + flash units = bad combination due to the high voltage inside a flash - and considering that 90% of the unit is electronics....</p>

<p>If it's that rainy out - are the couple still going to do the ceremony / photos outdoors? </p>

<p>A couple of options if they are - 1) use a ziploc bag to hold the units. Cut just enough out for it to be usable. 2) If you are mounting remotely - then put an umbrella over the mount to shield from rain... granted this won't work if you get wind - 3) hire someone to hold umbrella over the flashes....</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>Be aware that anything like a plastic shroud over the flash is going to reduce the unit's ability to dissipate heat. That flash unit is going to get hotter, faster.<br /><br />Think Tank's "Hydrophobia" product line actually has a version with room for a hotshoe flash, just for such occasions. I don't recall if they're rigged for anything other than longer lenses, though. ThinkTankPhoto.com for a look. </p>

<p>For tomorrow, I'd use a gallon size Ziplock bag on the flash and receiver (upside down) but with the zip undone for air flow. Unless you have pretty strong winds, I don't think it would blow off, although you could use one piece of tape to attach part of the bag to the stand (not closing off the bag to the air).</p>

<p>When you have time, investigate some other options. I use Fotosharp bags--the smaller 12" one, on my flashes, but I also carry the Ziplocks and have used them before. I use the bigger Fotosharp bags on my cameras.</p>

<p><a href="http://fotosharp.com/12_camera_rain_cover_with_tripod_hand_opening_.html">http://fotosharp.com/12_camera_rain_cover_with_tripod_hand_opening_.html</a></p>

<p>I assume you have another option for your camera and on camera flash? Of course, for this, the best is an assistant with an umbrella.</p>

I actually don't worry about weather. The bride and groom along with the wedding party and the guests surely avoid rain.

To protect your gear from going from the church to the reception either pack it back up in your case or use a bag, such as the kind you can get for free at agrocery store.

Hope this helps.