Keep or sell 50 1.8

petter1

<p>

<p>

<p>Hello all<br>

I am seeking for a little advice here, since I really don't know what to do.<br>

Since I've bought the D40 exactly a year ago, I've been lusting after the 50 1.8. So I bought it just before my wedding and took it on the honeymoon. During the honeymoon I came across a used 50 1.4 AFD in "new" condition, with caps, rubber hood, softpouch and original box. It was a bargain at $100 (exactly the same I paid for the 1.8 version), so I couldn't leave it behind. So now the 1.8 is sitting at home since then.<br>

Even having 3 bodies (F4, D40 and D700 - bought just last week), the 1.4 is permanently attached to the D700 and I use the D40+18-55 as a "go-everywhere-point-and-shoot". The F4 is getting less and less use, although I would regret selling it, since it is such a fantastic camera and nothing beats Velvia transparencies projected on the wall :)</p>

<p>About the two lenses, I find them to be exactly the same, quality-wise. I love the all-metal construction of the 1.4 and the extra 1/3 stop does make a difference both in DOF and shutter speed (YMMV).<br>

I guess I answered my own question, but I would like to hear your opinion on wether to keep or sell the 1.8.<br>

Cheers,<br>

Pedro.</p>

<p>Since you'll probably only get $10 if you sell it, and it doesn't take up much room, I would just keep it. You never know when you may need it. Alternatively, give it someone you like who doesn't have a 50mm lens. The satisfaction will be worth more than the money you'll make selling it. :-)<br>

Martin</p>

<p>My personal philosophy is to sell anything not used in the past year. Otherwise, stuff starts to collect and it's money tied up. Do not try to sell it now though, prices are at a low point this time of year. Wait until May.<br>

Kent in SD</p>

<p>Well, I had the 50/1.8 AF and sold it when I go my 50/1.4 AF-D (as I also have a 50/1.4 AI). A year later I ended up getting another 50/1.8 AF-D because I wanted one to keep in my day bag aswell as in my main gear bag :)</p>

<p>I don't know where you're located but I do know this. I've bought two 50mm f/1.8 one China made & one Japan made. Once I got the japan made one I sold the China made one on ebay for basically what I paid for it. About $ 90.00....<br>

I have two 50mm lenses - one f/1.2 which is now on the Nikon FM - the other 50mm AF D I think hangs out in the cabinet most of the time.... I keep considering a f/1.4 but since I use them so rarely I find that a waste of time.<br>

The f/1.8 will remain. There are times I can & do use it. For the $ 90.00 I may get for it I don't see the need to sell it as a low light lens is always useful. But you have a f/1.4 - - sell it on eBay....<br>

JMHO<br>

Lil :-)</p>

<p>I'm located in Portugal and I could get the same money or even a little profit by selling it. I was thinking that I could use that money to fund something else, since my current gear is a bit limited lens-wise.I currently have the 18-55 kit lents (great performer), Series E 28 f/2.8 (fantastic little lens), NAI 35 f/2.8 (used once and stashed away in the cabinet) and both 50s. Now that I have the D700, I feel a little limited by the not so wide 28mm and the not so long 50mm, so I could use that money to fund either a wide zoom (20-35 2.8) or a short tele, like the 85 1.8 (the 1.4 is too expensive and heavy, despite it's beautiful bokeh) or the 105 Micro.<br>

Brian: that's a pretty good ideia, actually! Never thought of that :)<br>

Cheers,<br>

Pedro.</p>

<p>There were some tests done showing how 50mm f/1.8D was better for landscapes than 50mm f/1.4D even at f/5.6 or f/11..... for portraits sometimes 50mm f/1.4D would be better..... so the conclusion there was that the f/1.4 lens for portraits but 50mm f/1.8D for anything :-). But it's understandable that you walk around with your 50mm f/1.4D and since you like it, and more than 50mm f/1.8D, then that's the lens for you. For me I prefer 50mm f/1.8 because it's my only 50mm focal length and i use it for everything. There was one time i could have used the f/1.4 focused at infinity.... but overall i would have more general use for f1/.8.<br>

I think the main key in that report was that ** Focused at Infinity ** you get more out of the f/1.8D lens, but for portraits f/1.4D would be the one people like more.</p>

<p>The resale value of the 50 f/1.8 is not all that good since it is a very low cost lens in the 1st place. The 50 f/1.4D is faster and in certain ways better built. But it's not superior to the f/1.8 50 mm lens in every way. the f/1.8 lens has less distortion, less CA, and accordingly to many have slightly better performance when stopped down. If you're getting like 20 bucks selling it, you may just as well keep it. Its practical value is far greater than that. </p>

<p>Hi again<br>

Just an update: I've decided to put it up for sale just for kicks and it sold in less than 5 minutes. €100 ~ US$135, which is well over what I paid for it. Even if I regret selling it tomorrow, I can always buy a brand new one and still have some money left.<br>

Anyway, thank you all for your advice. This forum is really a great place to be in.<br>

Cheers,<br>

Pedro.</p>

<p>PS - sorry about any misspelling. I ought to practice this english writing stuff more often =)</p>