Kant see it?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by JDMvW, Dec 3, 2020.

1. And unless that bit that's so many inches behind the button has already decided it wants to be behind that nutton and to press that thing, we're not talking photography.
    It's that important.

2. "decided it wants to be behind that nutton " q.g

I'll pass on being behind the nutton or in front for that matter.

3. Some people rather be it, perhaps?

4. "Tut-tut", q.g

;)

5. Apart from the bit of banter, you interest me.q.g..

Moving Kant aside, my thoughts on Art, is not about the medium used, but about the creativity in medium .Regardless..

So, I see you as person putting Art in little confined box, to suit your personal perception. I find this weird. But interesting.

6. A "little confined box" re anything you mentioned in your above (quoted) post, Allen? Now that is weird. Do explain.

Meanwhile: creativity is not confined to art. It is a property (of just about everything we do), but not a specific difference. So creativity alone is not enough to 'define' art.
    A focus on creativity is a focus that makes you miss the essential bit. It's one little box you can't stick a label "art" on.

What more, then, is part of that other thread.

Focus, by the way, is not an imperative in photography.

7. Walking the walk ...
    smithingNEW8x6-ww.jpg
    the art of blacksmithing

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
  8. Sam, I really was touched by this image. I suspect that the collaboration by the two men wasn't an accident. It seems that four hands were necessary to ensure that the hammer blow on the molten metal had the exact amount of force.

9. "So act that your principle of action might safely be made a law for the whole world." Kant.

There's a thought for you, Sam.

10. "So creativity alone is not enough to 'define' art.
    A focus on creativity is a focus that makes you miss the essential bit. It's one little box you can't stick a label "art" on"q.g

"Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind." Kant.

11. "A focus on creativity is a focus that makes you miss the essential bit. It's one little box you can't stick a label "art" on"q.g

There we go. Art, really belongs in a little box, that you cannot put a label on.

The interesting thought ; who puts Art into that little box, that apparently you cannot put a label on?

Art does not need labels, or, little boxes, it is universal, not subject to moiré, and cult of the few.

12. “He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals.”
    ― Emmanuel Kant.

My favorite quote from, Emmanuel Kant.

Speaks volumes about the soul of, Emmanuel Kant.

13. You illustrate that perfectly, Allen.

By the way, it is Immanuel, not Emmanual.

14. Yes, Allen, who mentioned little boxes again?
    Another quote of Emmanuel: "Stay of the keys after imbibing."

15. I already quoted that thought in a post just above yours ... slightly different words but same basic idea.

I'll repeat it here, since you seem to have missed it:
    "Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law."
    —Kant

Though a photographer shouldn't have to be obvious, the reason I posted the photo I did with that Kant quote and the caption "walking the walk" is that it shows a co-worker at a community for folks with disabilities working hand-in-hand with a resident learning a skill ... and an art. It was meant to tie together several themes in the thread. Now, please, continue vomiting, by all means.

:) :rolleyes: :)

16. Uhm... here's a thought for both of you, Sam and Allen: you do know the OP´s question? You do know that this was mentioned in the very first post of this thread already?

17. "Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind." Kant.
    You illustrate that perfectly, Allen.

By the way, it is Immanuel, not Emmanual.

Little insults. Sad man, with little to say, other than than pretentious rigmarole.;)

The measure.