Kalloflex?

I've searched both photo.net and the internet and have gotten very

little information on this TLR. A local antique shop is offering this

camera for $100. Main features include a 75mm f/3.5 Prominar lens,

Seikosha shutter, and combined wind lever/focus knob.

From the few sources I've seen, the Kalloflex seems to be a

relatively rare and rugged camera, and my first impressions handling

it were favorable. However, is it worth selling my decent, recently

CLA'd 1957 Yashica-Mat for? The Kalloflex in question is pretty

dirty, may have a permenantly damaged view lens surface (looks like

someone chipped a small, round piece off the glass at the edge), and

has no known history of repair. The relatively low price is pretty

suspicious, too. Any ideas, info, or comments? Thanks!

JW

McKeowns says the camera is worth $150 - $225. Those prices would be for cameras in EX to Mint shape. I don't think $100 is such a good deal for a semi beat up old TLR. There's nothing remarkable about the Kowa.

Dana,

My Yashica-Mat was CLA'd by a retired local repairman - he did a good job repairing and restoring the camera, but it took over a month, and the slow speeds still run a tad bit too slow. If I were you, I'd send your camera to Mark Hama in Georgia. He used to work in the Yashica factory, building and servicing Yashica-Mats. I believe a full CLA by him costs around $100. His website is www.markhama.com

JW

Joseph,

I've a Kalloflex. Its a superb piece of equipment. Lens is great. Body is rock solid. Its an interesting design with righ-handed focus and film advance, but not for everyone. I'm not crazy about its left-hand shutter release. Personally -- and at the risk of starting a flame war of one brand versus the other -- I'd take the Kalloflex over the Yashica TLRs any day of the week. All that having been written, the one you're looking at doesn't sound too great. I'd think about saving your money and getting a real nice one. I don't think you'd regret it.

Hope this helps.

Ed B.

PS In case you've never seen it, I've attached a pic of an ad for the Kalloflex.

I have both. The Kalloflex would be my favorite bay I TLR if the focusing screen was not so dark. Unlike the Mat, you can make multiple exposures but it lacks fresnel and grid screen. I am thinking about a bright screen upgrade for it. Besides a few design differences, it is basically ME and heavy construction versus better screen.

But in your case, the condition is probably a more important criteria. I would keep the Mat unless you are ready to invest in a CLA and costly bright screen improvement. I personnaly consider the old version Yashica Mat (in good condition) the best value there is for someone who does not need multiple exposure.

If you decide to buy the Kallo, don't sell your Mat until you get familiar with both and establish a clear favorite.

I went back to the store yesterday and found the man who had repaired my Yashica-Mat there, inspecting the cameras. Turns out he was the one selling the Kalloflex! He told me that the Kalloflex had been completely CLA'd only a few months ago, and that the chip in the glass had been there when he had first received the camera. Because of the defect, he also lowered the price on the spot to $50. I went ahead and bought it.

As Francois mentioned, the focusing screen is pretty dark in the corners compared to my Yashica-Mat. However, I found that using the magnifier helped focusing significantly, and that the screen was perfectly fine outdoors. The tough build quality of the camera is very impressive, and the winding is super-smooth compared to my Yashica-Mat. I plan to use this camera for applications that require its ruggedness, such as hiking and mountain climbing. Thanks to all who contributed. As always, it was a great help!

JW

Joseph,

Now that you've joined the elite fraternity of Kalloflex drivers make sure you let us know your personal observations about the camera and post some results to share with the rest of us!

Below is a grab shot portrait taken with my Kalloflex of my oldest and closest buddy with his NEADS service dog, Ben. Original is quite sharp!

Welcome!!

Ed B.