K10D and Wireless Flash

darryn_richter1

I have a K10D LE, and am considering purchase of a Sigma EF530 Super DG flash.

I am a little confused about the requirement to have TWO external flashes. The

K10 manual clearly states (albiet in reference to it's own 360 and 540 flashes)

that TWO off camera flashes are required for wireless operation.

In short, if I buy a (one) Sigma flash, will it operate wirelessly? I'm

planning to set the flash on a tripod amount 10 feet to the side. The Sigma

website makes reference to previous DSLR models, however not the K10D.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

You need one wireless ttl flash to trigger the second wireless ttl flash, i.e. one on camera,

one

remote. It is an optical system so they must be able to see each other. The latest K10D

firmware is supposed to support triggering a wireless ttl unit with the built in flash, but I

havn't tried it yet.

I don't think the Sigma supports the Pentax wireless ttl. Someone WILL correct me if I'm

wrong.

I would recommend using a radio slave system anyway. MUCH more reliable. Several on

this

fourm (including myself) have had good luck with cheep ($30) chineese sets off eBay.

if you have either the 360 or 540 pentax flashes, then all you need for wireless operation if the camera's builtin flash. it triggers either of the others. or you can mount a 360 or 540 flash onthe camera and use the other as the wireless remote. ot you can mount 1 flash to the hot shoe adapter and run a cable to the other which you mount on a bracket thus having both the 360 and 540 with you, both could be setup for bounce or direct or a combination.

but whether you can get one of the sigma flashes to do all this is something i do not know. i would guess though there is a reason that the sigmas cost less, and not just the sigma name, is that you loose abilities and features. whether it is worth it to pay for the pentax flashes is something only you can answer.