K10D Actuations

david_kelly13

I want to put my K10D, with an expensive sensor cleaning kit and a spare

battery, up for auction to raise dough towards a K20D. I have scarcely used the

K10D since I bought it last june -I'm mostly a Leica B&W film shooter and wasn't

happy about the B&W implementation of the K10D- but I think my chances of a

successful auction would be improved if I could could state with certainty the

number of actuations the K10D has had. How do I find out?

Renato: thanks but those links don't work. Steve, also thanks but unfortunately I use a Mac and there is no Mac version of PhotoMe. And Trent, no thanks, Carl Weese's report in The Online Photographer makes it clear that all my problems with the K10D have now been fixed in the K20D for a street price of only $1100,so why would I want a cheap piece of junk like the M8?:)

Take a RAW picture in Pentax.PEF Raw.<br>

Transfer the file to your computer desktop.<br>

Note the file name.<br>

Launch PhotoMe (I don't have ExifTool).<br>

Click [File] [Open] [Desktop] and your file name noted above.<br>

Click on the "Manufacturer Notes" Brick on the top menu bar.<br>

Scroll down to the fourth section of rows (separated by black horizontal lines).<br>

The first entry is Shutter Count. It is immediately after SR Focal Length.<br>

I don't use ExifTool.

The number of images does not equal the number of shutter actuations.

Firstly, it has been empirically determined that all K10D's come from the factory with a couple of hundred actuations on them. This apparently done as part of quality control.

Secondly, if you ever used the digital preview function, that counts as a shutter actuation, but does not create an image.

I'm not sure, but I think that the sensor cleaning function may count as an actuation, as well.

Secondly, iPhoto can only count the number of images that you transfer to your computer. It has no way of knowing how many were deleted in the camera and never uploaded to the computer.

The exif data is the only way to tell for sure.

What is wrong with the B & W processing in the K10D, and how has it improved in the K20D? I've only used it a couple of times, so I have no real experience with it. Plus, in all the discussions of the K20D, I've never heard anyone mention the B & W process. Mostly it consists of complaints about how they didn't change the AF mechanism.

Paul Noble

Since i never delete in camera, have never previewed or needed to clean the sensor i can at least say "less than a thousand"actuations. K20D has a special B&W mode, K10D only a filter applied after capture. And according to Carl Weese's TOP article AF is much improved, with less hunting in low light and much better ability to focus on narrow objects instead of the background.