k1000 problems

george_crawford

My old K1000 (bought new in 1980s)is getting buggy

the light meter appears to have stopped working, only registars at

high and low end of aperture or EV (wide open and slow or stopped

down and fast)

The rest of thestory appears to related to shutter speed problems.

using sunny 16 rule the pictures continually seem erratic in

exposure.

Any thoughts or comments on what to do (bury in th eback yard) or

what k-mount replacement i should look for

sounds not good. repair will be probably expensive. youll get lots of money for it at ebay, even if it doesnt work. you can buy really cheap (and good) Ricoh cameras. or buy a Pentax p30, cheap to get too. (dont forget to keep the pentax lens of the K1000!!!)

bye, Kai

My K1000 needed a new shutter and mirror foam after 20 years. It looked like it was brand new (one advantage of always using it in its fitted case), so it was worth fixing. It only cost $150 Canadian, at a local repair shop. It may or may not be worth fixing to you, especially if the meter doesn't work. Personally, I've used a number of cameras that don't have a meter, so that alone wouldn't bother me.

For the meter I would suggest you try replacing the battery if that does not work you can get it repaired. Most repairs I have had done on older manual cameras have been in the $100 - $150 range.

If your shutter is being erratic you have no choice but to have it repaired. Expect to spend $150.

If you are not to attached to your K1000 (or it's metal body) you might want to look at buying a new plastic K-Mount manual camera like Vivitar V3800N or V4000. They are < $150 and have more features (timer and mirror lock-up) than your K1000. I use one with a screw mount adapter as a backup up for my Spotmatic F.

If it was me I would repair it but then I love the old metal body cameras.

"why repair for 150 $? youll get two k1000 at ebay for that."

The reason it may be worth it to repair it is that at least then you know what you've got and that it should last a real long time. If you bought 2 of them on EBAY there's still a chance their could be a problem with both of them or that they could develop problems in the near future.

If the camera does everything you want a camera to do; then fixing it is a logical choice. If you aren't terribly happy with the features of the camara and were thinking of upgrading anyway this would make the perfect time.

Alan

Sounds like old Pentax syndrome; meter drift and incorrect shutter speeds. The meters can't always be economically revised, but a technician familiar with mechanical cameras can clean it and set the speeds. Any replacement K1000 you find is going to be about the same. If you don't want to put the money into it, a ZX-M might be a good replacement.

K1000's tend to have several common problems (when they eventually DO die)

<BR>Try removing the baseplate and battery holder-check the wire because they corrode there.

<BR>Also the small adjustable resistors inside the top get dirty and need cleaning/resetting.

<br>If you do want to try working on it yourself,the screws in the center of the wind-on lever are opposite thread

• 2 weeks later...