K-5 with AF280T

guy_gervais

<p>They are compatible. the AF280T is NOT TTL only. I have had one for years. I used it first during the years I shot exclusively with my ME Super, which does not have TTL as a flash feature. The AF280T has 2 level Auto settings for automatically regulated flash without TTL. It has a graph on the back indicating the aperture to be used for ISO/ASA sensitivity or film type, and the effective distance.</p>

<p>Both TTL and P-TTL, which are not compatible technologies, use the camera's internal flash metering to determine flash output. TTL stands for Through The Lens metering, which applies to both types.</p>

<p>The Auto settings are offered as an alternative with the AF280T because many Pentax camera models in that era did not have a TTL flash system designed into the camera body. The Auto settings use the flash units own built-in metering sensor to determine flash exposure and output. It is quite effective, and some prefer it to the current P-TTL technology.</p>

<p>The AF280T is unusually compact for a flash unit that features both tilt and swivel. It also has a special downward tilt setting for work at closer focus distance, but that may require careful low output setting in manual flash mode instead of Auto. At least it does have this feature, not found on most units.</p>

<p> </p>