K-5 Video Capture: Automatic Overheat Shutdown Protection

mc2imaging

As MiniDV tapes are getting expensive and hard to find, I'm looking harder and harder at replacing my SD Pannys with K-5s. Most of

my clients are still happy with my SD productions, so I haven't been in a hurry to go all HD yet. There certainly are several factors in

this decision, but as I was doing a little research and found a spec that has be a bit concerned. Under the K-5 power specs, it lists the

max video record time as "Aprox 25 min (automatic overheat shutdown protection)."

HUH?!? Video record time is limited by an overheat condition?!? Does the battery overheat? The sensor? Video processor?

I often produce lecture vids that exceed 2 hours, and many weddings can push 25-35 minutes JUST for the ceremony, a 25 minute

record time isn't gonna cut it!

Now, if battery heat is the issue, I'd be plugged into the wall for anything even close to that long, so it's a non-issue. Any other

scenario, however, means I'd be dropping over $1500 (x3) on a tool that simply won't do the job.

Anyone out there made any lengthy vids with a K-5 yet, or am I going to be the guinea pig?

<p>Even if there were no sensor heating issues, you would be limited to a single clip of no larger than 4GB or 29 minutes, whichever comes first. The 29 minute limit is due to export restrictions/tariffs.</p>

I've been pretty hard on still cameras that do video over the years; I come from the old school 'if it ain't 3 chip, it's junk'

mentality. Lately, the reasons not to go exclusively DSLR have been shrinking, and I've identified solutions for most of

the shortcomings, but obviously not all of them yet.

Thanks for the info, guys...

<p>Even though I love my K5 and have shot quite a bit of video on it, I keep a Panasonic DVX-100 and a pocket HD-video camera for long-form shooting. And yes, I have had the K5 overheat and take a break. I was shooting inside, with liveview and video on constantly for about 35 minutes. (There's nothing magic about video, liveview is the same thing and also heats up that big sensor.)<br>

The K5, like the rest of the video-DSLRs, is a better replacement for motion-picture film cameras than for video cameras. Consider:<br>

16mm or 35mm motion picture camera:</p>

<ul>

<li>Great picture quality and large imager size (on 35mm film)</li>

<li>Interchangeable lenses</li>

<li>Modular camera build, often not easy to hand-hold</li>

<li>Maximum run time, approximately 10 minutes (on one loaded magazine)</li>

<li>No sound being recorded - have to use an external audio recorder if you want sound</li>

<li>No timecode on most cameras, only the most expensive cameras have timecode/keycode</li>

<li>Involved post-production process - not ready to be uploaded to Youtube :-)</li>

</ul>

<p>DSLR like the K5:</p>

<ul>

<li>Great picture quality and large imager size (APS-C is the same size as a "Super 35" motion picture frame.)</li>

<li>Interchangeable lenses</li>

<li>Modular camera build, often not easy to hand-hold</li>

<li>Maximum run time, approximately 25 minutes (sensor overheating)</li>

<li>Sound is recorded, mono from the camera, stereo from external mic, but recommended to use an external audio recorder for best results</li>

<li>No timecode</li>

<li>Slightly involved post-production process - high-quality MJPEG is not ready to be uploaded to Youtube, it must be compressed first.</li>

</ul>

<p>Video camera:</p>

<ul>

<li>Acceptable picture quality; imager is likely smaller than 16mm film (more like Super 8)</li>

<li>Fixed lens (usually)</li>

<li>Easy to hand hold, very ergonomic</li>

<li>Maximum run time limited only by the recording media (DV tape, hard drive, etc.)</li>

<li>Sound is recorded on camera, can often connect external mics using XLR cables</li>

<li>Timecode</li>

<li>Simplest post-production process, and it may even be ready for Youtube right out of the camera! :-)</li>

</ul>

<p>I think Sony and Panasonic are headed in the right direction with their latest products -- putting large DSLR imagers into video camera bodies, sometimes with an interchangeable lens mount. That is what is needed to really make DSLR-style video feasible for long-form ENG-style video. Unfortunately, I don't think Pentax will ever enter that part of the market. Sony and Panny already have substantial experience and a stake in the video world. Even as Pentax improves the video side of their still cameras, I don't think they will ever enter the ENG camera market.</p>

<p>on behalf of matt & myself .... CRUD!!!<br>

And here I was starting to actually look forward to going with K5's and all the ways I could use them that our Panasonic DVC-30s were just a little to difficult.... sigh. <br />actually, the project I'm doing this week, the K5 would actually still be awesome, but I was starting to be able to see us using them for our wedding videos.... </p>

<p>Am I the only one getting extremely frustrated by how expensive miniDV tapes have gotten?<br />And then the guy at Sam's has the gall to say "Nobody uses DV tape anymore...." </p>

<p>I think making a K-mount APSC-Sensored digital cinema camera (crazy-high resolution @ flexible rates) and digital video camera (1080p@25 or 30) body would be a good move. It would broaden the market for K lenses.</p>

<p>The first video camera model could probably be the guts of a K5 with a heatsink on the back of the sensor in a different body (and no pentaprism, mirror, or mechanical shutter). With less weight and space constraints and no need for sensor-shift (due to expecting to use a tripod, dolly, or crane), they could stick a big heat pipe, heat resevoir, and radiator on the back of the sensor, and solve the overheat issues. Not sure how to solve the "rolling shutter" issue though.</p>

<p>Also, if they wanted to really go out on a limb they could build a digital IMAX-like system with a giant sensor to take 645 lenses.</p>