Just ordered a Sigma 120-400 f/4.5-5.6 OS HSM for Nikon

kohanmike

<p>Five years ago when I traded in my early 1970s era Nikon F2s and lenses for two D70s bodies, I decided on a Nikon AF 24-85mm f/2.8-4 D Macro as my main lens. Shortly after I got the newly released AF-S 70-300 VR to accompany it.</p>

<p>Understand that I try to get the most value for my dollar, so I usually choose the best of the less expensive equipment. It took a few years to find that I needed full time f/2.8 lenses, so I bought a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 VC and Sigma 50-150 f/2.8 HSM (wish it had OS).</p>

<p>Just yesterday while surfing the web, I got to thinking about a longer range zoom because I really cut into the focal length of the 70-300 with the Sigma 50-150. I decided to look for a longer zoom so I could shoot some nature and sports. I first looked at the Sigma 120-300 f/2.8, but the price and size were just too much.</p>

<p>When I saw the price of the Sigma 120-400 4.5-5.6 with so many positive revues, I decided that since my 70-300 VR with 4.5-5.6 served me reasonably well, I would move up one notch to the 120-400 (and it will fit my rolling case with the rest of my gear). Also, selling my 70-300 VR will help pay for the Sigma.</p>

<p>I should get it by Friday. I'm shooting a philharmonic concert Sunday evening and will give it test run.</p>

<p>First of all, congrats on the new lens. I hope it lands you some amazing shots.</p>

<p>I have that lens too and I feel it is my duty to let you into a few little secrets and quirks...;-) First, this is a fast lens and will lock on pretty much anything you try to shoot without hunting too much. However, when it DOES lose focus, it may take a second or two to regain the focus. Normally not a problem, but you should be aware of that.</p>

<p>Second, the VR (OS). It works fine (and you will both feel and hear it working). However, it DOES drain your battery a bit, so keep that in mind too. For example, it uses more battery power than the Nikon 200-400 f/4. So, when going out with it, be armed with a full battery.</p>

<p>Third, while it is indeed very silent and almost whisper-quiet, in a classicla music concert the VR will annoy the people around you (don't go on imagining it will overpower the violins or anything, but to the person sitting next to you it will be audible. Keep that in mind too.</p>

<p>Finally, it's a very, very good lens in good lighting conditions. But as lights fade or as contrast at the focal point is lower, it MAY result in less than crystal clear images. 90% of the time this is not an issue, and may be very easily fixed through PS or LR, but another thing to keep in mind.</p>

<p>Enjoy. I did (and do)...;-)</p>

<p>Thanks for the feedback all. Marios, I'm the official photographer for the orchestra so I will not be sitting in the audience. I plan on using the new lens with a monopod behind the orchestra to shoot the conductor in action. Yes, they are usually well lit, but many times I will still get arm motion, especially with the slower lens, although those can be quite interesting shots. Even my 70-300 hunts at times, so I'm kind of used to it. I always charge the batteries before a job, but I find the VR on my lenses doesn't seem to have a major effect on my batteries. I'll post next week.</p>

<p>Michael,<br>

I,ve got the Sigma 120-400 a month ago or so. I am very happy with this lens, and despite the reviews it is sharp enough at 400 mm f :5,6 . The principal problem is undesirable movement at 400mm not the optical quality. If you use a good tripod or monopod you are going to get beatiful pictures. The bokeh is very nice too and is well constructed.</p>

<p>Congratulations</p>