if you were leaving on a round the world trip tomorrow and could only

take one camera with which to document the entire experience, which

would it be (weight is a factor as you'll be backpacking the whole

way and getting around by foot)...

Yashica T4 Super (35 F3.5)

Konica Hexar AF (35 F2)

Canonet QL17 (40 F1.7) or Yashica Electro 35 GSN (or similar fixed

lens RF)

Konica Hexar RF (w/ 50 F2) or Leica M3 (w/ 50 F2)

others?

reasoning would be most helpful...

A hand-held light meter, a Nikon FM2n body *all works except the light meter if no battery is in the camera* -- and a Nikkor Ais (zoom) lens.

Something like the 50-135mm Ais f3.5 Nikkor is built like a rock.

But the lens would have to for you to decide on: you are a photographer and know (more than I) what type of images you are into taking.

want to avoid SLRs and heavy zooms, as i'll be doing 25-30km of hiking each day...

so fixed lense and RF for weight and compact size? also, i own a Yashica T4 Super and that will most probably be joining me (very light, great lens and good meter), so i want another similarly compact and relatively light camera with manual controls for different speed/type of film... i have an old Gossen Sixtar that will also make the journey... so a meterless camera is an option...

Konica Hexar AF, faster, sharper lens than the T4 but no manual focus (its a pain in the butt) and though it has aperature priority mode, its not fully manual...

Konica Hexar RF is a great alternative, but is battery dependent...

leaves me with the M3, legendary reliability and build quality, superb optics (can only afford a normal), the 35mm on the T4 would be wide enough for most situations that a normal lens would not be sufficient for... no batteries to worry about, no meter (add on selenium but i've got the Gossen).... now if i could only justify putting down $1000+ for one when i have a Canonet QL17... only downside to it is that the lense is a little wider than i would like 40mm... the T4 is 35mm and would like to compliment it with something manual and with a 50mm fast lense (min. f2)...

i'm babbling now so i will stop here...

A TLR of some type. No batteries usually. Big enough negative. Good for cropping or for big enlargements. No extra lenses. Many are fairly light. Can be used handheld at fairly slow shutter speeds [No mirror bouncing]. If you're hauling a flash then a fast sync speed with many.

The film thing is an affectation. I've photographed in the jungle and in the desert, in Africa, Asia, Europe and Latin America. I've been in incredibly poor countries and I've never had a problem carrying batteries, nor has there ever been anywhere I couldn't find camera batteries. I have, on the other hand, run out of film and been completely unable to find what I needed. Which is why I'll probably be traveling with digital in the future...

Using lots of film on your trip, along with using 'just' a 35mm lens and a 50mm lens -- you will have little difficulty in putting your future guests to sleep when viewing hundreds of images with little variety....

That said, some travel spots 'beg' for a 20mm to 24mm view (the Grand Canyon, for one) and others do well with a telephoto: a view of the Golden Temple in Kyoto, Japan, for another.) And there are flowers, bugs, and all sorts of subjects that are good with a 90mm or 105mm macro lens.

Good luck and travel safe!

People aren't getting the "no SLR part" apparently.

Of the choices you've given I'd certainly go for the Hexar RF. The battery thing means

nothing- take extra batteries! I'd choose it because it has a fast and accurate shutter, has

great glass, and is an M mount camera. I wouldn't take just one lens however. I'd probably

take three- a 24 or 28mm, a 50mm, and a 75 or 90mm. Part of the system rangefinder

attraction is the very compact size of the lenses.

I have a Contax G2 w/ 28, 45, and 90mm lenses that I bought for lightweight travel

myself. This is what I'd choose but wasn't one of your options.

I also liked the suggestion of an XPan. With just the 45mm lens you get both a normal lens

and a super wide panoramic. Hard to argue w/ that.

I'll second what Jeff says. It's rarely the batteries, more often the film. Even in someplace stupidly modern like Vienna, where Ilford has taken over the B&W market to the exclusion of Fuji Neopan except at the most well-stocked camera shops. And film with 35mm isn't really a problem either, as long as you are willing to shoot what they have and not say, only Efke 25 or some such. I'd take the Hexar RF and make framing with the 50mm part of your camera challenge for the day. Put fresh batteries in the day you leave and bring one or two more sets. That should last you a year or so.

If the reason why you don't want to consider an SLR is purely weight, and if you're willing to carry around a leica (or an Xpan as some people also suggested), you may still want to have a look at a Rebel Ti with a 28-135IS. That's definitely what I would be taking with me.

If you already have the T4 and you don't want an SLR, consider going wider. The Ricoh

GR21 is a tiny point & shoot with a sweet 21mm f/3.5 lens, manual override, and a shot-

bracketing mode. Like the T4, it has been discontinued, but only recently, so you should

still be able to find new old stock for around $750 somewhere. (B&H has it listed as

'backordered' but who knows if they'll ever get in any more stock.)

Alternatively, consider a Bessa R or R2 rangefinder with one of the Voigtlander lenses. A

new Bessa R with 21/4 lens goes for around $550 at Cameraquest.com. A new Voigtlander

50/2.5 lens sells for under $300, the 50/1.5 goes for $350 new. (Since you don't seem

averse to buying used, more savings are possible if you choose that option.)

my advice is to take one camera with one normal lens. you may think by doing this that you will miss some shots but belive me on a rtw trip you will come home with stacks and stacks of images. moreoever any frustration you may feel about not having the right lens will be more than compensated for by 'just being there'.

if i were to choose from your list, i'd go for the Hexar RF with 50/2. the next rtw trip i go on, i shall take the G2 + 45/2.

have a wonderful time.

regards,

stuart