Just Got Plaubel Makina 67

robert_ante

Will get my first processed roll of Provia in mail tomorrow shot with my newly acquired Makina 67 . In the confusion of a house fire my bought new Fuji 67 folder was either lost or stolen. While I like the 67 format, there were several things I didn't like about the Fuji. When carrying the camera folded in case very comfortable, but difficult to hold steady for composing and even more difficult for slower shutter speeds. Moreover, the shutter was soooo smooth and quiet and shutter release button so soft that I was often unsure if the shutter had been released.

I was able to get a very clean Makina 67 from Japan. I like the substantial weight and feel, and supporting the Makina handheld is more comfortable. There is no guessing as far as shutter release. A tactile sensation at release followed a satisfying clunk (definitely not the camera to use where a Leica rf or Rollei TLR quietness required) leaves no doubt that shot was taken. Also, I like the button that activates the meter. An added plus, the case that came with my Makina is NOT black.Indeed, if I lost my Fuji, its black case was a contributing factor.

• Like 1

I bought a Makina 67 last month without a working meter, but in 'EX+' condition. I reviewed my first roll shooting Ektar100 and except for the few shots where I neglected to remove the lens cap, the negatives I scanned were spectacular in detail, contrast and color. I find that handling it is a little awkward since I am used to the convenient grips on modern digital cameras, so I bought a cheap pistol grip from EBay with an Acra-Swiss clamp (knockoff) and Acra-Swiss tripod shoe it makes the camera much more manageable. You can't use a left or right hand grip that attaches to the tripod mound since it covers the film spool release preventing it from popping out when loading a new roll, so the pistol grip is a second, but workable choice.