Just got back into the Canon FD System after 30+ years

sexgun

Hi, folks. I had no idea this would happen when I woke up Sunday, then I saw an

ad for a "Canon F-1 with 24mm lens $55," among tons of other Canon FD,

Hasselblad, and Mamiya stuff - a professional photographer's estate sale. So I

went over in the afternoon, a part of me hoping that the goodies would be gone

already, because I don't need another system...

Well, the F-1 with the breechlock 24mmf2.8 SSC had wrinkled curtains, so I got

them to switch it with another, slightly brassier F-1 body with straight

curtains, and I bought that. The camera seemed clean and fully functional, and

the meter needle acted steady and responsive, though the readings were off (I

was testing it with a 1.5v alkaline cell). It's an early model with one roller

and the Canon F-1 sticker on the back.

I also got a 17mm lens for $200 and a 50mm macro for $30, both bayonet lenses,

and finished with a 35mmf3.5 breechlock lens and a tripod for $50. Walked out

of there without further damage - EF body for $25? - and didn't even look at

the medium format stuff. All the lenses are in perfect condition, too.

Well, my first real camera was a TLb, lifetimes ago when I was a teenager in

the 1970s, and I had so much fun learning about photography and developing,

more fun, I think, than with the dozens of cameras and lenses I have since

accumulated. I work with digital photos every day in my job, but I like manual,

mechanical film cameras for fun, and now I'm back! And I'm sure I'll be here

with some questions.

Congrats! And welcome back to the land of the living.

Reminds me of the E-Bay deal I scored a while back: A Haliburton case loaded with a first-model F-1, an early FTb, Motor Drive MF, 17mm f/4 S.S.C., 55mm f/1.2 S.S.C. and hood, 200mm f/2.8 IF (appears to be absolutely unused), Speed Finder and case, low light booster for the FTb and case (alas, not the one for the F-1), Vivitar 283, Vivitar 352 handle mount, cheap Soligor fisheye converter for any lens (which I have never used and doubt I ever will), 67mm circular polarizer (which I never use but I know is fairly pricey), other filters, body caps, etc., all in near mint condition for $355 plus shipping. It is all stuff I was shopping for separately anyhow, so I considered the cost to buy everything separately from KEH in bargain condition, bid that amount, and got lucky.

The stuff gets constant use now, and I am still waiting for a similar deal on an RB or a Sinar. HA! Never again, I'm sure.

Take care of your new stuff. It is worth the time, effort, and maintenance costs.

Keith

Welcome home ! I've been using a Canon FTb(n) since the early 70's and have thousands of slides and B/W negs to prove it's quality and reliability. Although I hadn't been using the FD gear very often in recent years, a trip to the Grand Canyon 2 years ago got me rejuvinated in photography. Last year my wife thought it was time for me to enter the digital age and she bought me a Canon Rebel XTi with the packaged 18-55 zoom. Once I compared that lens to my collection of FD lenses, I realized I belonged back in the emulsion age; not the megapixel age. In the past year I've added to my FD lens arsenal and have also acquired several very nice FD bodies. My favorite combo now is the A1 body on top of a B winder and the FD 20mm 2.8 lens. This summer in Hawaii I enjoyed listening to younger folks as they watched me reload film and change lenses....they were busy shooting with their point & shoot digitals or even worse...camera phones!! What I really liked though was meeting several oldtimers who said, "Hey, I use to have a camera like that. Do you mind if I have a closer look"

Mama, don't take my Kodachrome away!<div>00NivY-40475084.thumb.jpg.e3dcf198d20c010af2fc56e9b5328d62.jpg</div>