Just got a 5D. Do I need a second body?

shaun_martin2

It seems I never have enough toys! I recently upgraded from a 30D to the 5D and (foolishly) got rid of the 30D. I

got the 5D for all the reasons that a full-frame brings, but now I find myself missing the crop factor

particularly since I shoot wildlife. I am going to Africa in November and I am contemplating getting a second

body to take along. I don't want to spend a lot of money - so I am thinking of getting a 40D or even an Rebel Xsi

(or another 30D!) to use for wildlife shots with my 70-200 f/2.8 lens and 2x extender. This will give me an

effective 640mm over just 400mm with the 5D and the same equipment. I'll use the 5D for landscapes and low light

shots. I don't want to invest in (or carry) a longer lens for the 5D. But not so psyched about getting a second

camera to lug around either. And ow the 50D is coming out, making the decision even more difficult!

Am I crazy for even thinking about this? Any advice?

Thanks.

For a once in a life time trip, I would not want to depend on a single body. I am sure weight is a concern. If were me and just me, I would look at one of the rebels and I would take a hard look at the new 1000D. It would be a cheap option that should produce fairly good IQ. If you are willing to spend the money the XSi would be better. If you are not concerned with weight or money, then the 40D would be a killer combo with the 5D. At that point it is no longer a main body with a back up, but rather a dual format camera system. Just my thoughts.

Jason

No, you're not crazy. I agree with Jason: for a once-in-a-lifetime trip, don't depend on a single body. I'd get the best body I

could afford. I'd also look for a used 300mm lens, perhaps an f4. Also, I'd consider the 1.4 extender rather than the 2x

(quality considerations).

I would never depends on a single body for any important photographic event. Nor would I depend on a single lens. Stuff breaks, even the best and most expensive stuff. you always need a backup unless you don't mind not getting any images. At the very, very least, you need a P&S with a decent zoom, but for a few hundred dollars you can certainly find a used Digital Rebel if money is tight. An XSi would be just fine.

At the least consider either one of the X Rebel series or a used x0D body. I've been in a situation years ago

when my Nikon camera packed up and I finished off the trip with a Rollei 35 - thank goodness I had it along, and

now it's hard for me to tell where one left off and the other started. Get it soon so you can make sure it's OK,

etc.

"If were me and just me, I would look at one of the rebels and I would take a hard look at the new 1000D. It would be a

cheap option that should produce fairly good IQ. If you are willing to spend the money the XSi would be better. "

The Rebel XS and XSi are currently priced the same, $699.95 with kit lens.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Thanks everyone for the good advice. This is not a once in a lifetime trip for me. I do these kinds of trips 2 or 3 times a year. (I work for a nature conservation organization.) Which is probably even a greater reason why I should get a second body (and why returning it isn't really something I would want to do.) While I don't have tons of money, I could spend up to $1000 for the 40D if it were going to make that much of a difference over the Xsi. Shooting wildlife, I'd like to have the 6 fps that the 40D offers, but I also rarely used the 5fps on the 30D so not sure if that is really that important. Sleeping lions don't move all that fast!

If you really want the biggest zoom take the one with the smallest pixels. (No, I don't mean a crappy P&S, I mean the EOS with the smallest pixels so you can crop the most.)

At the moment that's the 450D but in a very short while that would be the 50D.

Have a nice trip! Matthijs.

Although I love my 5D, I still use my 20D for sports and wildlife. The autofocus and frame rate on the 5D is inferior to

the 20-30-40-50D line, not to mention the crop factor which saves you money on the long side. You might be able to

rent or borrow a 40D. I'm not sure the new 50D will be available in stores for you before you go.

I know, it seems like a lot of money. But remember that the price of a combined 5D plus 50D is still lower than a top

line MKIII, and you share batteries and have much more secure backup. And, when you consider the cost of long

lenses, you are still ahead of the game by having two midrange bodies, each used in specific situations.

I have been traveling alot with my camera gear and found the xxD series to be a bit heavy to be lugging around as an

extra, at least for me. I agree with everyone you should get a back up, I would look at an XSI (3.5 fps). Just keep in

mind there will be times on safari when animals will run and your 5D (3 fps)will take great shots but with its slow

frame rate can miss the money shot.

Just got back from China yesterday now off to Bali nexted Sunday and I will be packing two, plus some odds and

ends film cameras.

If weight is not an issue (and in trips, it mostly is) then by all means, bring a second body. That said, do remember that the only benefit of 1.6X on FF when used as a telephoto is more pixels on the subject.

OP: Have you tested your 70-200/2.8 with 2X? My 70-200/2.8 IS is not at it's best at the long end when wide open and putting a 2X produce unacceptable results for me. I suspect that a 100-400 will be better for this task.

Happy shooting,

Yakim.