Just bought B+W 77 mm MRC UV filter. What lens should I get to protect it?

dogbert

<p>The real question, Geoff, is how many frames per second you need in a new body in order to keep an eye on the status of the filter. This is what the new bodies' 1080 HD video is really for: real time filter status monitoring, and recording all of the events that might happen on, or near your Important German Filters. <br /><br />Disclaimer: I actually <em>like</em> B+W filters. They're pretty much the only ones I'll buy.</p>

<h1>"What lens should I get to protect it?"</h1>

<p>A lens can not protect a filter. Only you can prevent filter failure. You have to keep the filter in it's case. I store most of mine in file storage boxes that are resistant to fire and flood. My classic filters are in Safety Deposit boxes.</p>

<p>I am glad I could be of some assistance.</p>

<p>It depends, what type of shooting will you be doing? I believe the safest would be total darkness, and by that you need a lens cap, any lens sporting 77mm, and the rear cap for that lens. Now your filter will not see the light of day, and remain somewhat safe.</p>

<p>In all seriousness, you really only need to protect your filter from etching produced when acids from the oils in your finger start attacking it. I don't know if they still carry it, but B&H used to sell a filter cleaning system called "SOS Pads", closely related to the PEC Pads (notice the use of "pads") used for digital sensor cleaning. A gentle scrub of the filter, once a month, with SOS Pads will ensure your photographs will have colors and lines you never imagined would be possible until now. Congratulations on your new acquisition!</p>

This is a silly question (obviously you are a newb (or experientially challenged as we are allowed to say)). If you have

bought an Ultra Violet filter then self evidently you need an Ultra Violet lens. Now, did you buy the 'crop factor' filter or the

'full frame' filter (I won't bore you with war stories about my 'large format' one - this is not a p'ing contest after all.). If you

bought the crop filter then it's not really 'Ultra Violet' but rather a 'little bit more than purple' filter and for this the cheap

'shocking holga purple' would be a good choice for someone such as yourself. Of course I haven't asked you what is your

preferred filtering use? Frisbee or pizza? I will leave that to others but if you look on sites such as photozone.de you will

see lots of lovely graphs and colours that maybe you can use to get some polarization if you haven't got any CDs. One

other thing, you have absolutely picked the best, high quality filter for macro work - if you hold it about 8 inches above

your macro subject in the direction of the sun then you will get some great high temperature laser frying shots.

Good luck with it - happy filtering.