Have been enjoying restoring simple cameras lately, the kind of cameras that some of you may just say "Why Bother!!?", but I find it relaxing when cleaning, taking them apart where possible and making them ready to shoot modern film. Example cameras I have restored/cleaned recently: Kodak Brownie Hawkeye Flash Kodak Brownie Starlet Spartus Co Flash Spartus Rocket Kodak Duaflex II Ansco Panda Kodak Baby Brownie Special and Vredeborch ALKA Most of these cameras are plastic with rivets galore, but with a little patience and average tools (tweezers, screw drivers etc) they can be a lot of fun to restore and use. I will show the ALKA here and some photos taken during the restoration. It was an eBay acquisition, seller was very generous and took my offer, and sent it promptly with a hand-written "thank you card", real class. The camera had definitely seen better days, but the art deco beauty is still there. This is the simplest version of this model as it only is a point and shoot, no Bulb setting, no variable aperture (water house stops) or sliding green filter. The carry strap was missing, the protective glass full of grime and when moving the camera about, something was loose inside. The shutter was good and snappy however, indicating that the spring has still may years of service in it. Onto further inspection and restoration: Wiped the outside with a soft microfiber cloth and alcohol to get excessive dirt and grime off. Removed the film carrying piece and wiped that off well with alcohol using q-tips to get in to the crevices Noticed that snap/pinch ring holding the lens in place, was crooked and the lens was the loose object rocking inside the camera Pulled the snap ring off, cleaned it, cleaned the very dirty lens (now loose in my hands) until it sparkled. Spacers in front of the lens were cleaned as well. Put the spacers back, the lens and very carefully pinched the retaining ring back in place until it was snug and the lens stayed in place Removed the front panel by lifting carefully on the sides and cleaned the metal mirrors and viewing screens and optics. (at least 3 or 4 dry carcasses of insects fell out of this place ) Lifted the 4 tabs holding the shutter in place and lifted it off. Cleaned that as well and installed it back in reverse order. Cleaned the protective glass on the front cover and installed it back with little effort. Made a carrying strap from scrap leather purchased from Michael's It is now ready to go and quite happy with the outcome. Have a roll of expired Portra 400VC (May 2003, refrigerated of course) which I will put through this box camera and will revert back with results. For now here are some photos of the project.