Jupiter-9 lens results

Earlier I posted a question about the effect of bubbles in one of

the elements in my 1960 Kiev/Contax mount Jupiter-9 (82/2). Well,

I've shot a roll through my Kiev 4 using the lens, and the results

are great! Even wide open this lens is crisp and contrasty (see the

tree shot). The wide rangefinder helps a great deal with the focus,

too. All shots are on Kodak HD400 (because it's cheap), scanned on

a Fuji Frontier, and unretouched.<div>00AUsy-20991084.jpg.d71d07e0a7bdca42302ff5579fad2224.jpg</div>

You cannot mount a Jupiter-12 or a (prewar) Biogon on a Contax IIIa. The shutter mechanism protrudes and does not allow clearance for the deep rear element.

Other than that, the Jupiter-12 is a good lens, and a god way to see what the Biogon could have done with AR coating. But you'll need a Contax II or III or a Kiev to use it.

:)=

Ben have you seen Russ Pinchbeck's "Kiev Survival Site"? There's detailed instructions how to check your rangefinder accuracy including a link to a site with a printable focus target. If you're feeling up to it, there are also instructions on how to adjust the rangefinder.

Do you live in British Columbia? (first shot flags) I lived in Vancouver for 8 years; grad school then work.

Ben have you seen Russ Pinchbeck's "Kiev Survival Site"? There's detailed instructions how to check your rangefinder accuracy including a link to a site with a printable focus target. If you're feeling up to it, there are also instructions on how to adjust the rangefinder.

Do you live in British Columbia? (first shot flags) I lived in Vancouver for 8 years; grad school then work.

Nice results Ben. I've been interested in picking up the Jupiter-9 since acquiring the Kiev 4a, my only restraint has been the potential for redundancy since I already own a 105mm f/2.5 for the Nikon so I don't exactly *need* another short telephoto lens. I do like the bokeh rendition from your shot though Ben; it's subtly different from how I'd imagine the 105mm would act in that situation (less of the double edge effect that Nikkors seem to produce in their out of focus areas in detailed backgrounds).

How hard was it to find the accessory viewfinder? I've been toying with the idea of knocking together a very crude selectable frameline feature for the Kiev 4 by marking out rough crop marks for an 85mm lens onto a thin piece of clear perspex or plastic and securing that in front of the viewfinder. Doesn't have to be accurate, just enough to get a rough idea where the edges might fall.<div>00AVN8-21004084.jpg.be445aec526bef2f389896f66b3b6ce4.jpg</div>

Forunately buying a Jupiter-9 in Kiev/Contax mount isn't a great outlay of cash. They tend to be cheaper - selling at around $60 - than the LTM version of the same, plus they have a reputation for being much more likely to focus properly due to a simpler construction.

The viewfinders are easy to find on that auction site, and should cost around $9-15, plus a bit of shipping.

I'll put in a plug here for my favourite seller: Kassiapeya, from the Ukraine. I've bought quite a few cameras and lenses from him over the last year, and he has proven very reliable and true to his descriptions. In fact, the only bad experience I've had buying Russian gear was when I bought from someone in Canada who sold me a gimpy Zorki-3m that's now a paperweight.

In regard to the Jupiter-12, I've got one in LTM and one in Kiev mount (both early 1960s silver ones), and I really like both. Images are crisp and very natural-looking. It's too bad that they aren't compatible with more cameras, though. I'd be more tempted to pick up a Bessa if I could use my J-12 with it.

• 11 years later...