Jupiter-6 (Sonnar 180/2.8 clone)

jan_brittenson

Anyone have experience with the Jupiter-6? These are M39 (SLR, long

register, not LTM) mount, right? But I assume they will work with an

M39/M42 adapter on any M42 mount camera or adapter? And what's the

difference between the -6 and -6-2?

Do you like it? What do you like most/least about it?

How much should I pay for one that's optically mint with only minor

cosmetic marks on the barrel?

I can't comment on the lens, but the adapters are freely available ex sellers from the former Soviet Union on eBay. The adapter (I have one) is just a simple collar with a 39mm female thread on the inside and a 42mm male thread on the outside. After all, the Russians invented the so-called Pentax screw thread and had plenty of need for these adapters after moving from 39mm to 42mm. Regards, Ross

Hi Andrew. I have done some more research and you are right.

The East Germans made the "Praktica" mount Contax S in 1949. The Russians copied the East German slr concept on the cheap by adding a mirror box to a Zorki (Leica copy) camera to produce the Zenit slr, which they made with the same film plane to lens mount register as the Praktica, but with a 39mm thread, which they already used for the Zorki and FED Leica clones. So 42mm mount lenses wouldn't fit the Zenits, but the remounted Russian Leica clone lenses (actually Zeiss clone) could be mounted on Prakticas with a 39mm-42mm collar. The first Russian slrs in the Zenit range were all 39mm and the first 42mm Zenit wasn't on the market until 1968.

I have both a Zorki 1 and a Zenit 1 camera and had thought the Russians came first. The adapters are still fairly easily available.

Regards, Ross

First off, the mount adeptor is not rare, not even scarece, can easily be have from a number of sources. And no, the Zorki 39mm register is just that little bit differed from M42 that any Zorki 39mm lens when mounted onto a M42 body will not focus to infinity ( by a very slim margin but can be visually perceived ).

The difference between the J-6 and J-6-2 is that the J-6-2 is a genuine M42 mount. In use this lens perform just like the Sonnar and just as cumbersome too.

• 2 years later...

Quote: Andrew Hall

I believe the M39 to M42 adapter is very rare. Why not get the "real thing" instead: http://www.praktica-users.com/lens/mlenses/czjson2.8_180.html

==============

While the M39/42 adapter might not be rare, I can't seem to find any CZ Sonnar 180/2.8s in a M42 mount. I can find quite a few of them in Pentagon 6 medium format mounts, but M42 mount would be nicer.