Jumping Back In Large Format- Digital Issues?

rick_waldroup3

Hello, I usded to shoot a Wista 8x10, a Toyo 4x5 monorail, and a

Zone VI 4x5 field camera about 12 years ago. I have made a good

living as an architectural photographer for years. I got out of it

for over a decade and am now considering getting back into large

format architectural photography as a living again. So any advice

anyone can give as to equipment, digital backs, etc would be of much

help. What is the market like today? Are most pro architectural

photographers using digital backs now? I am eyeing an old Sinar F

on ebay. Will it accept digital backs? Any advice as to the nature

of architectural photography today would be appreciated. Thanks,

Rick

I'm not a prob, but my impression is that architecture is probably the commercial segment that has least switched to digital. Because of the smaller size of digital sensors compared to traditional formats, wide-angle lenses can be a problem.

A big issue with LF digital for the small or part time business is price. What is called medium and large format digital is typically priced at several times $10k. Scanning backs are cheaper single capture, but then subject motion is not possible. Unless you are very sure that you will have a lot of bookings in your new business, you are probably better off starting with film. You may want to get a scanner in order to be able supply digital files to clients that want files. Or you can have a lab do this. For less demanding jobs, some photographers are using DSLRs and shift lenses.

If I remember right, the digital backs for LF are not specific to individual cameras, but they may require the use of specific lenses.

You should be able to rent all-digital LF systems. One of the Seattle shops is now exclusively digital, and they rent out a large number of digital LF cameras. Check Sinar's website, as they have at least a couple of digital configurations.

If a client wants a digital file, then 4x5 film is the easiest to scan.

It all depends on the resolution that you need. At present, there is no full frame 4 x 5 digital back which is not a scanning back with the problems that entails. You can get digital backs for medium format, and it is possible you might find some combination which will work with a standard medium format view camera. Another possibility to consider is the Cambo Ultima series of view cameras. These include some designed to be used with medium format digital backs and others designed to use with a DSLR. I've played a bit with ones on display at Calumet Photo in chicago, and they appear to be marvelous mechanisms.

But as others have suggested, if you want the highest possible quality at the least cost, even in digital, you are better off right now using film and scanning when necessary.

I have to agree with the above posts in that you will probably want to still shoot film. Chromes are still the way to go and if your not in a post production mode of developing yourself (with at least an auto Jobo... ATL ect.) you'll want to explore your pro labs that are still around and top notch in quality! Things have changed a bit but good labs are still around. B/W emulsions, are being taken out of the picture by Kodak but with a good scan, your images will be convertable for print if needed.